Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have an 01 Xterra, SE with a manual transmission. My speedometer randomly stopped working over the weekend, so I decided to climb under and figure out which speed sensor it has. When I pulled the sensor out of the transmission, it had trans fluid on the end of it and a little bit actually dripped out of the hole. I'm posting here, to just ask if this is normal? I would rather know that this is normal, and then just order a new speed sensor to see if that's the whole issue. If its not, what should i be looking for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am guessing you have a 2wd? The 4wd has the sensor in the transfer-case.

I don't have the 2wd but I think oil would be normal for that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah mine is a 2wd. I just wanted to make sure that was suppose to be there and not a leak. I ordered a new speed sensor today, lets hope that fixes the issue because I have no speedometer right now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah mine is a 2wd. I just wanted to make sure that was suppose to be there and not a leak. I ordered a new speed sensor today, lets hope that fixes the issue because I have no speedometer right now.
A tachometer can be a pretty good gauge of speed if you recall any of your typical cruising numbers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts