Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done a power steering fluid flush on a first gen Xterra?. Any pointers or is there any easy way to do it?. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine leaks, so I just top it off. That’s my flush! But if it didn’t leak, I would buy a $2 turkey baster and suck out what’s in the reservoir, squirt it into a scrap bottle, refill the reservoir, run engine, turn wheel left and right to circulate fluid, then suck it out again. Easier and simpler than disconnecting hoses

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can disconnect the rubber return to the reservoir and put in a bucket/bottle. Cap off the bottom of the reservoir. Then run the engine and pour in the fresh fluid, have someone turn the wheels, it will pump all the old fluid out. Don't let the reservoir get low or it will start sucking in air.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can disconnect the rubber return to the reservoir and put in a bucket/bottle. Cap off the bottom of the reservoir. Then run the engine and pour in the fresh fluid, have someone turn the wheels, it will pump all the old fluid out. Don't let the reservoir get low or it will start sucking in air.
Hi, I had a question, where are you saying to pour in fresh fluid if you capped off the bottom of the reservoir?

·
Registered
21 Posts
which one is the return line?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,788 Posts
It comes off of the steering box and goes to the reservoir, not the pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It comes off of the steering box and goes to the reservoir, not the pump.
Thanks for that MT! off topic but I could not find this anywhere even the at shop manual for the 2000.
Is the Gen 1 is the Transmission cooler IN port on the drivers side?
and then return line on the passenger side of the cooler?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found in a forum post by Ricer-x, say's passenger side is the "TO" line I should unhook for the poor mans tranny flush "
the return line comes out of the driver's side of the radiator, follow the rubber hose, if the rubber hose is attached to the d-side of the radiator then thats the line you want
and yes, remove the skid plate, makes for very easy access"

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,788 Posts
I was searching for it too, starting with the FSM, but could not find it anywhere. Thanks for sharing what you found!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts