Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Red Xterra SE 6.6 4x4 Automatic I call him Ol Red
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so first off, I had no experience with this until doing it. Thanks to this awesome community I was able to do this successfully! And I learned some good info in the process! Link at the bottom to pics of my working headlights with hi/low beams unreversed.

Now to get started once I recieved these led bulbs:

I popped my hood to get an idea of how difficult it was going to be getting the halogens out. First thing I noticed was that there was a metal wire clip on both headlights. No big deal to get them unlocked. Then I pulled both my halogens out starting on the passenger side simply because it was going to be the harder of the 2 to do due to not enough space for my hand because my battery. Now for those of you reading this with thoughts of doing it yourself, take your battery out! Your hands will appreciate it. Once I removed the halogens I proceeded to install the first led bulb. First off, it did not turn and lock into place. But with those metal wire clips no big deal I thought. I'll just use that to hold it in place. Which does and will work but it is a very tight fit getting the metal clip around the base of the led bulb. But able to be done. After I locked the clip locking the bulb in place I then plugged the oem harness into the canbus attached to my bulb. Supposed to be plug and play. So I got that one done, went and flipped my low beams on to make sure it worked. It did not. So I grab the oem harness still plugged into the canbus and I notice my headlight flickering. Then I notice that even though the canbus and oem harness are locked together there is still quite a bit of wiggle space. So I squeeze them together pretty hard and my headlight turns on. So I wrap them in electrical tape super tight to keep the connection. So far so good. Then I move to the driver's side. Pull the metal wire clip down and easily pull out the halogen. Oh this is the halogens by the way

So same as the passenger side unlock metal clip then pull halogen out and un plug from oem harness. Slid the led bulb in locked the metal wire clip and plugged canbus into oem harness squeezed tight and wrapped it in electrical tape to make sure it kept the connection. I didn't think to take pictures of this stuff until after I was done re installing. Yes, reinstalling. So after I had them both hooked up and working I drove over to a local warehouse cause they have a big Shay spot next to their building and it was daytime so I needed whatever darkness I could get. Got there turned my low beams on and man they were bright! So then I switched to my high beams. It went to my low beams. So then I thought great now I'm going to have to do a bunch of rewiring. So I got on Club Xterra and did some research. Turns out all I need to do was re pin 2 wires in each oem harness. The 2 red wires needed to be switched on both lights. This part is a little technical but can be done. I mean I was able to do it lol I suggest getting whatever tools are actually made for pulling plugs and harnesses apart without breaking them. Seriously. Dont do what I did. Do it right dang it. So glad I didn't take pics of it cause I'm sure it would make more experienced Xterra owners cringe...hard. Anyway, so I grabbed a couple different things to use but a flat head screw driver is what I used the most. Broke some stuff off the back of the clips switched each red wire on both. The parts I broke off were the parts that hold the wires in. So now i have to figure out how to keep them in. Whatever. Only took an hour to figure that out. Got everything back together and working. Headed back to the warehouse to check and make sure hi/lows were corrected. And behold! They did! Heres a pic of each side from under the hood

So yeah 100% doable. 100% worth it. A little agravating? Yes. But in the end what's it worth to you to see better and further at night while driving? To me less than 50 bucks and a slight annoyance for about and hour and sore hands due to my own stupidity lol I hope this helps anyone looking to do the same thing but better than me! Also if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll try to answer them best I can. Ill do better about taking pictures of stuff before and after to give a better understanding. I'm a visual and hands on learner so I learned quite a bit on this "little not so little" project on ol red. Also another important thing I learned is to really do some research on whatever I want to do BEFORE, and that part is key people, before starting projects. Have some knowledge going into it. You will only benefit from it. Heres a link to my led headlights and fog lights on and working at night:

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
770 Posts
I have to ask if the bulbs are solidly in place in the housings or if they feel kinda loose or sloppy.

I ask because I spent the money on the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 and they didn't fit right. An email to Headlight Revolution and they suggested using the larger O-ring from the halogen. Still no joy. I returned them and all they offered was 80% back, and all I did was open 1 of the 2 boxes and never plugged in the electric. After some further persuasion they raised it to 90%. For a defective design! The interesting thing is that the refunds came through The Retrofit Source, so I have to assume that they're the same company.

If yours are well-secured and don't rotate any more than the halogen, then you got bulbs that fit.

Also, how's the cut-off line with the new LEDs? What about the hot spot?

Can you get us some nighttime pics against a wall and down the road?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoyed your conversion story. Which wires did you have to swap around?

Had to switch high beam wires on both and low beam wires on both. Cant remember the colors off hand but I found out about doing that here in the forums searching for that specifically. Also used the service manual link to make sure what wire was what while I was doing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to ask if the bulbs are solidly in place in the housings or if they feel kinda loose or sloppy.

I ask because I spent the money on the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 and they didn't fit right. An email to Headlight Revolution and they suggested using the larger O-ring from the halogen. Still no joy. I returned them and all they offered was 80% back, and all I did was open 1 of the 2 boxes and never plugged in the electric. After some further persuasion they raised it to 90%. For a defective design! The interesting thing is that the refunds came through The Retrofit Source, so I have to assume that they're the same company.

If yours are well-secured and don't rotate any more than the halogen, then you got bulbs that fit.

Mine fit. No wiggle. Passenger side was harder to get in the correct position though. Seemed tighter. They act more like flood lights when the high beams are on. Honestly it's like low beams just tilted up higher if that makes sense? Lol I'll try to get some night time pics on a wall for you. But I do know the cutoff line is not that great. Like I said more like a flood light. Not too sure about the hotspots though.

·
Registered
2002 Xterra VG33
9 Posts
I just put these in my 02, i dont have those metal clip things, there were some plastic things that twist on, but dont fit around the new leds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put these in my 02, i dont have those metal clip things, there were some plastic things that twist on, but dont fit around the new leds.

You can find the headlight mounting retainer spring clips on Ebay and probably Amazon as well. Those are the reason why mine stay snug. I've seen the plastic rings your talking about in the forums here while researching if it would be doable for my x. The spring wire clips were what was on my x either stock or by the previous owner. I'm not sure which but if your x has slots where they can be used I'd use them instead of the plastic rings. You'll have to really work them around the base of the lamp to get them clipped in but like I said, snug.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Low beams got a hot spot!

High beams a little better but you can also tell the cut off line is almost non existent on both high and low beams.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
770 Posts
Those will probably be blinding others and you might get some to flip their high beams at you.

I had a similar kind of LED in my car that uses H11 for lows and H9 for highs. They were spraying so much light in front me that I had to drive with my hand on top of the wheel to block the light blowing back in my face.

Bright is one thing, but controlled is really what you're after. It'll help you and others at the same time.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,514 Posts
Those will probably be blinding others and you might get some to flip their high beams at you.

I had a similar kind of LED in my car that uses H11 for lows and H9 for highs. They were spraying so much light in front me that I had to drive with my hand on top of the wheel to block the light blowing back in my face.

Bright is one thing, but controlled is really what you're after. It'll help you and others at the same time.
Projectors with a cutoff fix those problems ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts