Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my clutch pedal stopped returning from the floor. Started acting up on my way to work. Had to lift it back up with my foot as i was driving and the pressure got soft. On my way home not 5 mins after i left work, the pedal stopped functioning completely. Had to start it up in second gear (thank goodness my starter is still pretty new) and drive it 15 miles home in second gear, doing some creative maneuvering to get thru traffic lights without stopping lol. I'm guessing it's something in the hydraulic system. I was just a tad low on fluid. Nothing major. I'll probably bleed it as soon as im done posting this, but I've got 190k mi on this thing. Should i just replace master, slave, and hydraulic line all one time? I bought it at 105k mi so these are probably all the original parts. How difficult of a job is it? I'm definitely a novice but i did just replace the alternator a few weeks back without any trouble as a point of reference... thanks for any and all replies

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably... looks like might be a slight leak. Fluid level wasn't so low it shoulda caused air to get in the system tho. It was barely below the min line. Didn't get a chance to try to bleed it yet...

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
If you have any kind of leak you have air in the system, when the pedal come back up it sucks air in to the system you need to fix the leak first . With that old of truck i would get cyl and slave .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man i really needed a second opinion. Had issues with several bad mechanics lately. The one good mechanic i go to is soooo busy that he can't take new jobs very often. I'm definitely a novice but i still know when someone is OBVIOUSLY a junk mechanic. Hard to take my X back to those places but Maui is a small island and there's not a lot of options. Might as well do it myself... i ended up buying the mast n slave cyls but had to order the hose online. Nobody has it in stock. Wasn't sure if that was correct but i gotta get this thing back on the road pronto. Suxs that the hose wont get here for several days still. Gonna start with bleeding it in the morning and see what happens. If that helps than I'll try to run it like that for a week. Should get the hose mid week and try to replace it and the cyls next weekend. If it doesn't help I'll just start on the cyls tomorrow. Sound like a good plan? I wish i was more confident in what i was doing...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you talking about the rubber hose from the steel line to the slave? You should be fine, it's not a very difficult job. I just did all three, but I think the master is NFG so I pulled it last night to get a warranty. Now that I've done it once it took about 10 minutes to do it again. The hardest part is bleeding it, you'll need two people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.