Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't planning on joining a forum to try and sort out the issues with my X, but I've been battling it long enough. First issue was a terrible misfire (P0304+P0325) once it was warm. I did, in this order:
Plugs, cleaned MAF, resistor'd the knock sensor (throwing the code), replaced the distributor. The problem ended up being the #4 plug wire. Replaced those.

After I replaced the distributor, I noticed no change from the old unit, still misfiring (after I took the old one out, I saw the Remanufactured sticker- it had been replaced before.)

The next day it wouldn't rev past 2200RPM. Pulled off the road, joined battery terminals for a minute (as per another thread's suggestion), it revved fine afterwards.

Replaced the plug wires to figure out the original misfire, and it ran great all that day.

This morning I went to drive it- same issue, won't rev up past 2500 or so. It's not a nice sort of ECU cut-off limit either, it's an erratic shaking, popping through the intake sort of cutoff.

Kept on driving it, and this "limiter" slowly raised itself until I got to my destination (15km) where there was only a slight miss at WOT.

Short of my new distributor being faulty, I'm at a total loss of where to look, its not giving me any codes, and for what it's worth the Torque app shows the MAF giving regular looking readings.

Thanks for any help,
Evan

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wasn't planning on joining a forum to try and sort out the issues with my X, but I've been battling it long enough. First issue was a terrible misfire (P0304+P0325) once it was warm. I did, in this order:
Plugs, cleaned MAF, resistor'd the knock sensor (throwing the code), replaced the distributor. The problem ended up being the #4 plug wire. Replaced those.

After I replaced the distributor, I noticed no change from the old unit, still misfiring (after I took the old one out, I saw the Remanufactured sticker- it had been replaced before.)

The next day it wouldn't rev past 2200RPM. Pulled off the road, joined battery terminals for a minute (as per another thread's suggestion), it revved fine afterwards.

Replaced the plug wires to figure out the original misfire, and it ran great all that day.

This morning I went to drive it- same issue, won't rev up past 2500 or so. It's not a nice sort of ECU cut-off limit either, it's an erratic shaking, popping through the intake sort of cutoff.

Kept on driving it, and this "limiter" slowly raised itself until I got to my destination (15km) where there was only a slight miss at WOT.

Short of my new distributor being faulty, I'm at a total loss of where to look, its not giving me any codes, and for what it's worth the Torque app shows the MAF giving regular looking readings.

Thanks for any help,
Evan
So just to clarify, its only bad when cold and improves as the car warms up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does seem to get better as the car is driven more, the worst being right after it's started. It idles great and runs fine until 2200 or so.. Also might be worth saying that the tach gets all weird and erratic at this point also, and if I'm say going down a steep hill and downshift past this "limiter point", the tach drops to somewhere near the bottom and sort of bounces around until it gets back under the max revving point.

The coolant gets to temperature pretty quickly so it seems to be more time, or underhood temp related or something, if it's got to do with that at all.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am leaning toward faulty distributor or wiring my friend. Check the wiring to the distributor, and remove the rotor and make sure there isn't any of the wires or modules gunk'd up below...but usually the jumping tach means distributor or signal wire...someone slap me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.