Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i posted on earlier trying to troublehoot the problem with my brother's 2000 x, and concluded that the distributor needs to be replaced. I was wondering if any body can tell me the proceedure in how to go about this, i'd very much appreciate it. I'm somewhat familiar with the steps so i'll let you guys know briefly how, and if i'm missing anything, please let me know. Again, thanks for the help.

step1 disconnect negative battery cable.
step2. position no.1 to 0 deg. TDC on it's compression stroke.
step3. disassemble cap and rotor, and mark the shaft rotor and adj. bolt's position the distributor.
step4. remove the timing adj. bolt and the two bolt on the opposite side.
step 5. pull out distributor.
Assembly is reverse the proceedure.

I don't have a timing light, so i'll need help with the how to on markings. Then i'll take it to this shop around the corner and ask if they can lend me their timing light. So, what do you guys think?:icon_question:

step4.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks for the reply, though i have one question about the markings i would've created on the old one. I assume i'd have to mark it in the same spot or area with the new distributor, yeah?:)
Yes,make sure you have the rotor pointing at the number 1 on your cap,its at the 5 O'Clock position.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
So how are you planning on finding TDC compression stroke?

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
and make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire.
Yup! Just turning it to TDC only gives you a 50% chance of getting it right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can give you a cool way to time it with no light and get it really close to get to the shop.
Thanks, i really appreciate everyones input. So i take it that the timing will really be off once i install the new one huh? I'm askin' some of my friends if any have a timing light i can borrow because the shop around the corner will most likely charge me. Do you know which way the rotor turns? I'm askin because of most the posts concerning distributors you we're always there advising. But i figure it might be rotating clockwise, though i could be wrong.:)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks, i really appreciate everyones input. So i take it that the timing will really be off once i install the new one huh? I'm askin' some of my friends if any have a timing light i can borrow because the shop around the corner will most likely charge me. Do you know which way the rotor turns? I'm askin because of most the posts concerning distributors you we're always there advising. But i figure it might be rotating clockwise, though i could be wrong.:)
Clockwise is correct,rotor toward 5'oclock not 11'oclock.

·
Administrator
8,519 Posts
actually put the mark on the balancer ,2 marks before o before you pull the dist and in case you dont get the timing light i will show you a cool way to time it with out a light to get it running so you can drive to get a shop to check it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually put the mark on the balancer ,2 marks before o before you pull the dist and in case you dont get the timing light i will show you a cool way to time it with out a light to get it running so you can drive to get a shop to check it.
Can you clarify a little more specifically about the balancer before i pull out the distributor? What's a balancer? And the 2 marks before 0? I'd really appreciate it if you had pictures that can illustrate that for me, though thanks for your time for helping out. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
looks good
So deja, i don't mean to keep bugging you about this, but one question about the distributor. If i have the oe replacement number 22100-7B001, can i also use oe number 22100-7B000 and won't have any problems? I just didn't want to start working on it, then have something like this hit me. :pfeilimkopf-big: BTW Happy Birthday :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts