Been slowly working on finishing rear bumper. Started with 4x4 .188 wall and used 1 1/2 x 3 .188 for the quarter panel wraps. Not a bolt on bumper. Weight is 82lbs. I will post a finished pic when complete
Started as bare frame back there. Added 1/4” wall 2x3 to inside frame rails and plug welded down frame. The wraparound will be welded to frame with 1 3/4” .120 wall round. Pretty much much “that ain’t going nowhere “
Got a little more work completed over the last several days. It appears that Chevy Tahoe springs work out nicely for the Xterra. I ended up with 8” from top of tire to rear fender although I liked the look of 5”. I stopped work and added 280lbs to the back and ended up at 7” so once the fuel cell is complete and full with the tire carrier and 130lbs of tire/wheel I should be around 6 1/2”. Add tools/camping gear it will probably be close to my 5” tire/fender goal. Fuel cell buildup is next…
Rear shocks mounted finally! Started working on installing the front axle. It works out that the square body 10 bolt front is almost a 1/2” narrower than the Tahoe 10 bolt rear. All in all, this has actually been a really easy conversion. I purchased the Shadow Wolf front output transfer-case adapter but it looks as though it is not needed. I will get some pics of the modified transmission crossmember that allows the third link mount to land in the former crossmember place.