Knock Sensor and Supercharge Question - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
DCtuna
Noob

2003 Xterra
DCtuna is on a distinguished road
Knock Sensor and Supercharge Question

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and have very limited mechanical knowledge. That said, I've got a 2003 Xterra SE with a Supercharger and just recently started getting the Check Engine Light. The past two times I've had the
P0328 Knock Sensor code shows up. I've read some of the posts here that say this will disable your supercharger. If this is correct, could this cause any other problems if I just continue to drive it without getting it fixed? From what it sounds like, its an expensive fix and I haven't noticed a loss in power since i've had the truck. (4 years).

The other codes that have popped up were the P0430 - Catalyst System Efficency Below Threshold, which let me to finding the cracked exhaust manifold. And the P0132 O2 sensor, which just came up after replacing the manifold and replacing the stock muffler with a Magnaflow. Still need to figure this one out too.

Thanks for any advice.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
OdiN
Banned

2004 Xterra
OdiN is on a distinguished road
From what I understand you should replace the knock sensor if you have a SC. The NA motors it doesn't really matter so much on and most people just leave them alone.

It will affect performance - but if you aren't wheeling it, you may not really notice if you're not racing someone.

As for possible problems it would cause - I am not sure, so I will let someone else answer that.
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
DCtuna
Noob

2003 Xterra
Thanks for the reply OdiN

I guess I'll just take it to the shop to be on the safe side. I got some other CEL codes I need looked at. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra $$ and have the Nissan Dealer Service folks look it at rather than the local Auto shop. Any thoughts on that?
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 AM
DCtuna
Noob

2003 Xterra
Hmmm....is it possible for the Knock Sensor issue (P0328) to be caused by the O2 Sensor problem (P0132) and Catalyst System Efficency (P 0430) warnings I'm getting?
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 AM
OdiN
Banned

2004 Xterra
OdiN is on a distinguished road
The P0430 code could have meant your leak in the manifold - which definitely good you replaced that. But if it is still there, it could be caused by your faulty O2 sensor. I'm not sure if it would cause the knock sensor code though. Also it could mean you have a bad catalytic converter, which may cause an O2 sensor code - not sure.

So it may just be a problem with one thing, or might be more. Hard to say.

I don't usually go to the dealer unless I need hard to find parts. I just take it to a good shop I know.
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
do a alter n/s relocation in less then 2 hours no special tools there is thread for it
2002 &2003 Xterra
#7 Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Saighdear
Noob

2003 Xterra
Saighdear is on a distinguished road
I just had my knock sensor replace in my 03 s/c and it made a big difference. I gained roughly 30 hp. While they were fixing my knock sensor they found the crack sensor not working either, upon looking closer they found that the plug had been rammed into the socket the last time the transmission had been worked on(previous owner). I went from 11 mpg to 19 mpg in the city. I recommend getting it fixed.
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
jasonk
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
jasonk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saighdear View Post
I just had my knock sensor replace in my 03 s/c and it made a big difference. I gained roughly 30 hp. While they were fixing my knock sensor they found the crack sensor not working either, upon looking closer they found that the plug had been rammed into the socket the last time the transmission had been worked on(previous owner). I went from 11 mpg to 19 mpg in the city. I recommend getting it fixed.
i just got a new to me 02 se s/c and i had the codes pulled. I got the knock sensor code but my x gets 17-18 mpg and I can feel the s/c kick in. If you feel the s/c kick in and you are getting roughly the same mpg your supercharger is working and you aren't losing anything. if your mileage is in the tank at around 11 or so like Saighdear I'd have it looked at. If I ever have to get the ks replaced I'll be doing a relocation as opposed to the replacement. I think it's $100 worth of parts (maxima or Altima ks IIRC) and is DIY friendly. You are looking at $1000 to have a dealer replace the ks (gathered from what I read).

2002 SC/SE
Nismo catback
Soccerbraces DIY intake mod
K&N drop-in
15" Cragar Soft 8's

2002 Xterra
#9 Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
jasonk
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
jasonk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtuna View Post
Thanks for the reply OdiN

I guess I'll just take it to the shop to be on the safe side. I got some other CEL codes I need looked at. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra $$ and have the Nissan Dealer Service folks look it at rather than the local Auto shop. Any thoughts on that?
do your homework and ask around, make sure they are comfortable working on the nissan. I would use a local ma and pop shop if I felt confident in them. Case in point. I just paid $460 for a timing belt/water pump/tensioner replacement. Dealer wanted $760 and that was at a special labor rate....my friend is the service mgr.

2002 SC/SE
Nismo catback
Soccerbraces DIY intake mod
K&N drop-in
15" Cragar Soft 8's

2002 Xterra
#10 Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Saighdear
Noob

2003 Xterra
Saighdear is on a distinguished road
I got my knock sensor replaced and everything else checked out for $540 at the local tuner shop.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.