Oil Leak - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-27-2009, 12:05 PM
777FO
Noob

2001 Xterra
777FO is on a distinguished road
Oil Leak

My 2001 has started leaking oil, it appears, where the transmission meets the engine. The dealer just told me it is either the oil pan seal or the rear main seal. Regardless of which it is the price is going to be $1100-$1300. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to remove the transmission to get at the oil pan seal? I know it needs to come off for the RMS and if it needs to come off for the oil pan seal should I have them do the RMS while they are in there?

The car only has 67,000 miles and has been dealer maintained, is this a normal problem for this mileage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the car but am approaching $4000 in unscheduled maintenance.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
baf6
Spaz

2000 Xterra
baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks
trans shouldnt have to come off to replace the pan seal, but im pretty sure you will have to drop the torsion bars, maybe other stuff
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
777FO
Noob

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf6 View Post
trans shouldnt have to come off to replace the pan seal, but im pretty sure you will have to drop the torsion bars, maybe other stuff
Thanks, will they be able to confirm that is the source by looking at the seal once they get it out?
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
dezurtrat
Mindless Modding Moderator

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
When I had my rear main replaced on my '02, they didn't remove the whole trans but obviously unbolted it and slid it back just enough to get in there.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra
#5 Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
pro2amendment
Phreak

2001 SE Xterra
pro2amendment has a spectacular aura about them pro2amendment has a spectacular aura about them
had similar issue

My 01 oilpan seal leaked in the same area- luckily under warranty by just a few days remaining. They had to remove a lot of the 4WD parts to get to it, and took over a day to get it done. Don't know the specifics since wasn't paying, but was major for just an oil pan ... not sure i would had bothered since was a very slow leak..
2001 SE Xterra
#6 Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
777FO
Noob

2001 Xterra
Thanks for the info, mine is more than a slow leak so I don't really have a choice at this point. I am hoping the exhaust system holds up to being removed and reinstalled.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
struggle
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
struggle is on a distinguished road
Darn, oil leaks suck.

If it makes you feel any better. Before I bought my 04 X a week and a half ago, I was looking at Jeep Wranglers, 03-06.
I looked at at least 20 of them, some had as little as 15000 miles and some had as much as 60000 miles. Either way thats not alot of miles.

At least a dozen of them had rear main seal leaks, very common on the jeep TJ. Even with only 15000 miles.
I found one that I almost bought but didn't want to spend $15000 for a used vehicle.

hope it helps.
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 AM
boat1dean
Noob

2000 Xterra
boat1dean is on a distinguished road
oil leak

Hey Everyone I'm new here. My sister in law has an x 2000 6 cyl. I was a yacht diesel mech and know just enough to be dangerous on cars. ANyway there is a 12" spot under her bellhousing and the valve cover gaskets are not leaking. I checked the oil and it was about 1" high on the stick.>She just had the oil changed at the friggin dealer. I told her to take it back and then they tell her it's gonna be 1600 bucks and the reason they overfilled it was so she wouldn't run out of oil. 5 QUESTIONS.. CAN OVERFILLING THE OIL CAUSE A REAL SEAL TO BLOW? WHERE IS THE BEST SHOP AND PRICES IN MIAMI/MIAMI BEACH TO GET THE WORK DONE FOR A GOOD PRICE THAT WILL WARANTEE IT. IS THERE AN ADDITIVE THAT CAN HELP THE SEAL? WHAT KIND OF OIL SHOULD YOU USE W 115000 MILES. Thank you your your help so much!
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
carlosruben84
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
carlosruben84 is on a distinguished road
Oil leaks suck, Mine currently has one as well 02 about 125,k on it. I actually just took it to get an estimate and it is leaking from both the rear main seal and the head gaskets. And appearantly yes to replace the rear main seal they do have to not completely remove the transmission but '' drop it''. Sad thing is the actual seals are very inexpensive but the labor is so expensive becuase of the difficulty of getting to them. I couldnt compare prices with you as I am in Mexico and thank god Labor is really cheap here compared to US Mechanic prices. I would try to get some quotes that are not from a dealer, but independent shops or transmission places, to see if they are a little more flexible.
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
armtx

2006 6spd Xterra
armtx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat1dean View Post
Hey Everyone I'm new here. My sister in law has an x 2000 6 cyl. I was a yacht diesel mech and know just enough to be dangerous on cars. ANyway there is a 12" spot under her bellhousing and the valve cover gaskets are not leaking. I checked the oil and it was about 1" high on the stick.>She just had the oil changed at the friggin dealer. I told her to take it back and then they tell her it's gonna be 1600 bucks and the reason they overfilled it was so she wouldn't run out of oil. 5 QUESTIONS.. CAN OVERFILLING THE OIL CAUSE A REAL SEAL TO BLOW? WHERE IS THE BEST SHOP AND PRICES IN MIAMI/MIAMI BEACH TO GET THE WORK DONE FOR A GOOD PRICE THAT WILL WARANTEE IT. IS THERE AN ADDITIVE THAT CAN HELP THE SEAL? WHAT KIND OF OIL SHOULD YOU USE W 115000 MILES. Thank you your your help so much!
I can answer one question for you. Overfilling creates bad pressure and can do damage to gaskets/seals. If the thing is leaking that bad, not good.
2006 6spd Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.