Tune up? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 AM
SelF_InFlicTeD

2002 Xterra
SelF_InFlicTeD is on a distinguished road
Tune up?

So i just got an 02' with 58k on it, the engine runs fine, maybe slight misfire, there is a slight noise coming from the engine but goes away once warmed up (its been about 15-30 degrees here on average) but should i just do a tune up since i dont know when it was done, also seaform should be fine to use in a 02'... i know newer motors not so much.

Last edited by SelF_InFlicTeD; 01-10-2009 at 09:42 AM.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 AM
dezurtrat
Mindless Modding Moderator

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
Sea foam is good stuff. Really shouldn't need a "tune-up" yet. I over maintain my vehicles so I'm not one to talk

But about all you can do is Rotor, cap, plugs, PCV valve, Fuel filter,and wires. Though honestly, you should be OK for a while on most of that stuff. I would definitely do the fuel filter and sea foam. I always use a good fuel system cleaner with every oil change just so I don't forget.

As far as fluids, I would go with all synthetic oil, Trans, TC, and front and rear diffs, and Power Steering Fluid.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra
#3 Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
Agree Seafoam works well.

Major service including sparkplugs comes up at 105K. A miss should show up in the codes and corresponding CEL.

THe noise could be a lose heatshield on the exhaust or a cracked exhaust manifold (usually the passenger side). You haven't described the noise so they're just guesses.
#4 Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM
dezurtrat
Mindless Modding Moderator

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m View Post
THe noise could be a lose heatshield on the exhaust or a cracked exhaust manifold (usually the passenger side). You haven't described the noise so they're just guesses.
I'm guessing cracked manifold. Mine was always worse until it warmed up.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.