very hard to turn steering wheel - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
unreal2000
Noob

2002 Xterra
unreal2000 is on a distinguished road
Question very hard to turn steering wheel

I am having some issues with steeing wheel. After stopping the Engine, it is very hard to turn the steering wheel. No problems when running. Any body seen similar issues. Any idea why this happens or how to fix this. My Guess is the brakes. I changed my brakes about 6 months ago. It's about 5K miles after that.

Unreal2000
2002 XTERRA XE (93K miles)
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
haha....that's what we call power steering my friend

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
njweber

2003 Xterra
njweber is on a distinguished road
This is likely due to the fact when the engine is not running, the power steering system is not running either. With the weight of the vehicle, it should be very difficult to turn the wheels when not moving without power steering. I would not worry about it at all.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
yeah, the power steering is belt driven, which means if the engine is off, the belts arent turning therefore the power steering is not being powered

totally normal, nothign is wrong with your xterra

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
tameroflions
dannypoo

01 Xterra
tameroflions is on a distinguished road
is this a recent "problem"?
if it was easy to turn it before, then something was wrong then. congrats, your X fixed its self

Daniel
01 black X
lots of mods
^SOLD
03 WRX
lots of mods
^totalled
97 Jeep wrangler outback TJ
lots of mods
^traded for v
2000 'cheerleader yellow' X
quite a few mods. more to come.

build thread:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17311
01 Xterra
#6 Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
S2X01
Phreak

2001 Xterra
S2X01 will become famous soon enough
check the blinker fluid levels?

Stu.

'01 Silver XE
Got Some Mods.....More comin.

BUILD THREAD

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
That's it, I'm gonna start carrying my muzzle-loader in the rig. Ain't no sneakin' up on me!

Of course there's always been a rivalry between Blackfoot and the Shoshone tribes anyway. Indian signs getting thrown around and my wife looking at me like I'm the idiot. I mean really, someone flashes me 'Your mom looks like a doe's ass' sign and it's on!
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2X01 View Post
check the blinker fluid levels?
he's joking. No need to be ashamed! We all learn sometimes!

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
oh come on now guys, not everyone knows things like this
what better place to start than here on clubX where we dont make fun of peeps for not knowing

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Pops
Phreak

2002/2003 Xterra
Pops has a spectacular aura about them Pops has a spectacular aura about them
Here, read the 3rd paragraph:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

FYI, there's also good info towards the bottom for the rest of us how some are changing from Hydraulic to Electro-hydraulic and possibly maybe even Electric in future models.

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-05-2009 at 12:39 PM.
2002/2003 Xterra
#10 Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
S2X01
Phreak

2001 Xterra
S2X01 will become famous soon enough
i am joking. sorry. just playin around. I have questions sometimes that get things thrown at me. all in fun.

Stu.

'01 Silver XE
Got Some Mods.....More comin.

BUILD THREAD

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
That's it, I'm gonna start carrying my muzzle-loader in the rig. Ain't no sneakin' up on me!

Of course there's always been a rivalry between Blackfoot and the Shoshone tribes anyway. Indian signs getting thrown around and my wife looking at me like I'm the idiot. I mean really, someone flashes me 'Your mom looks like a doe's ass' sign and it's on!
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.