Remote Start Question - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM
rockettrumpet

2003 Xterra
rockettrumpet is on a distinguished road
Remote Start Question

I installed a Hornet 570T (DEI) remote start system in my 2003 Xterra. I have everything connected and when I went to hit the start button on the remote, it cranks for about 2 sec, then cuts off. It doesn't crank long enough to actually turn over. Any ideas of anything to check?
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
dezurtrat
Mindless Modding Moderator

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
Something with the fuel pump relay? Did you miss something that would keep the fuel pump on?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra
#3 Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
punkrockdrummerx
Addict

2002 Xterra
punkrockdrummerx will become famous soon enough
do you have it programmed for tach sensing or voltage sensing?? If its set up for tach, learn the tach at 1500-2000 RPMs and if its voltage, bump up the crank time.

-Kyle

2002 Yellow Xterra (always open to offers)
2001 Jeep Wrangler
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
rockettrumpet

2003 Xterra
thank you all so much for the responses. I've actually suspected it was something to do either of your all's ideas. I've checked my wiring and there isn't a connection required for anything with the fuel pump, I assume its triggered sometime in the ignition process. I've tried it with tach and volt sensing. I have the tach wire connected and currently its set to tach mode. In tach mode it cranks longer but still will not fire up. I cannot find in the instructions anywhere that explains how to set the RPMs or crank time. Do you have any idea on how that might be done? Thanks again!
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
punkrockdrummerx
Addict

2002 Xterra
if you look in the install manual, its on page 22.

start the engine with the key, push and hold the program button and then the lights will flash when its programmed.

When I do them at work, I start the engine, bring the rpm's up to 1500 and then push and hold the program button.

-Kyle

2001 Jeep Wrangler
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
rockettrumpet

2003 Xterra
Ok, I just tried that and it cranks a little longer but doesn't fire. It cranks for about the time I would think it would take to normally start a car so I'm wondering if it may be something that I've done wrong with the ignition or starter connections. I followed the wiring diagram toward the bottom of this page: http://xterrafirma.com/modules.php?o...d=10&scope=all . I connected the purple wire to the black/yellow wire for starter1. Both reds are connected to the white/red wire, The orange acc. wire is connected to the blue, the pink is connected to the black/white for ignition1, and the pink/white is connected to the red for igntion2. Do those connections seem right?

Last edited by rockettrumpet; 01-04-2009 at 07:08 PM.
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
rockettrumpet

2003 Xterra
On the primary harness, I did not connect the blue wire (200mA output), I connected the violet/white tach wire to the pink/blue wire on the pass. side in the white computer box, the brown was connected to the brown/red brake wire, gray was ran to the hood switch, i grounded the black wire to a bolt under the center console, did not connect the white/blue remote start activation input wire, connected the green/black disarm wire to the yellow/red wire that was in the pigtail on the top of the smart entrance control unit, and the white was connected to the blue/red wire in a pigtail at the SECU. All other functions (lock, lights, etc.) work, just no start.
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Creepy Cruiser
I'm kinda wacko

06 Zterra Xterra
Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold
Does it have a transponder that needs to be bypassed? (I'm not sure if the 03 had it as an option). If so try just sticking the key in the ign, (but don't turn it), and then hit the remote start button and see if it starts. If it does, then you need to bypass it.
06 Zterra Xterra
#9 Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
rockettrumpet

2003 Xterra
I'm pretty sure the 03 doesn't have one from my research. I have tried starting it with the key in the ignition with no change.
2003 Xterra
#10 Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
punkrockdrummerx
Addict

2002 Xterra
you need a relay to trigger the second starter wire. Nissans are famous for that. There are 5 pins on a relay: 85, 86, 87, 87A, 30 and are labeled on the bottom as such. They need to be hooked up as follows:

pin 85: ground
pin 86: first starter wire (trigger wire, this turns on the relay at the approtiate time)
pin 87: +12V (constant power)
pin 87A: no connection!
pin 30: second starter wire.

Do this and then your remote starter should work properly. DEI is a great brand of remote starters and is the only brand I sell and install at work. Product is bulletproof and works amazing!

-Kyle

2001 Jeep Wrangler
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.