scottie7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 Xterra
scottie7 is on a distinguished road
Windshield Wipers suddenly not working

Hi,
I have an issue with my windshield wipers that just came up. Up until today i have had zero issues with my wipers however today they stopped working. Unfortunately i have to keep my vehicle outside and the weather in upstate new york is anything but mild. Today i went out to my x and it was covered in ice, including the wipers being frozen to the windshield. I i popped them loose, however when i turned them on i could hear the motor working, but the wipers wouldn't move. When i turned the wipers off i could go outside and slide them up and down easily. Is this simply a case of them getting frozen over and when they thaw out they should work fine again or is there a more serious problem with them? I didn't know if xterra wipers were more prone to not working when frozen or not. Any advice on or ideas about what the issue is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
if the motor is working but the wipers are you might have striped the splines... or the linkage separated....

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here
2000 Xterra
post #3 of 17 Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
scottie7

2000 Xterra
scottie7 is on a distinguished road
First off thanks for the speedy reply. Is this a fairly simple fix? I'm not great with working on cars, but i can follow directions pretty well. Are this parts i would need to get from a nissan dealership or can i just get these at auto zone or something? Thanks.
2000 Xterra
post #4 of 17 Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
im not sure i have never had a problem with the X but i did on a previous car....in that chevy corsica they were a PITA to work on...

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here
2000 Xterra
post #5 of 17 Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie7 View Post
When i turned the wipers off i could go outside and slide them up and down easily.
Sounds like the linkage came apart somewhere if you can easily move them back and forth. Sometimes it's as simple as a C-clip coming undone at one of the linkage points others...well hope it's not the others but if it is take pics & do a write up for the rest of us.

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Silver Dude will become famous soon enough Silver Dude will become famous soon enough
I'd check to see if the metal shafts are spinning under the wiper arms. If so at least then you know the linkage is still attached and all your have to do is tighten the tapers. However not likely since both wipers are not working. My guess is that you will have to remove both wiper arms. Then remove that plastic window shroud (looks like it just snaps in). After you get the shroud out of the way you may have to remove a plastic thingy or two to get a look at the linkage. But, the linkage consists of metal rods with these plastic ball cups that like to pop out of the rods. So pop them back on and your good to go secure with a zip tie if the little lock is broken. If both wipers are still attached to each other (you move one it moves the other) Chances are the linkage popped off at the wiper motor so keep that in mind. It's much easier then it sounds once you see what your working with.

On mine the taper just worked itself loose. Same situation, icy windshield, one wiper came disconnected. Here is how I tightend it.

O-ring pick any hook will work. I'm sure you could even use a allen wrench if you want.

Pull out not up.

Remove nut with a 12mm wrench.

At this point if the linkage is bad remove the plastic cover to get a look.

However, mine just needed to be cleaned and tightened.

Align the wipers straight like they were originally and tighten the nut. Pop the cover back on done..
2001 Xterra
post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2008, 02:34 PM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
Rep points for you Silver Dude
post #8 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
coachhart
Noob

2001 Xterra
coachhart is on a distinguished road
Same thing just happened to me - same situation - ice on the windshield, etc. I removed everything, reattached the linkage, and put it back together. But, then it just happened again. I'm not sure if I am going to have to buy new linkage, or if reattaching it again and securing it with something as you said would be sufficient. Thoughts? If I need to go buy the linkage, any idea where to get it?
2001 Xterra
post #9 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Dude View Post
I'd check to see if the metal shafts are spinning under the wiper arms. If so at least then you know the linkage is still attached and all your have to do is tighten the tapers. However not likely since both wipers are not working. My guess is that you will have to remove both wiper arms. Then remove that plastic window shroud (looks like it just snaps in). After you get the shroud out of the way you may have to remove a plastic thingy or two to get a look at the linkage. But, the linkage consists of metal rods with these plastic ball cups that like to pop out of the rods. So pop them back on and your good to go secure with a zip tie if the little lock is broken. If both wipers are still attached to each other (you move one it moves the other) Chances are the linkage popped off at the wiper motor so keep that in mind. It's much easier then it sounds once you see what your working with.

On mine the taper just worked itself loose. Same situation, icy windshield, one wiper came disconnected. Here is how I tightend it.

O-ring pick any hook will work. I'm sure you could even use a allen wrench if you want.

Pull out not up.

Remove nut with a 12mm wrench.

At this point if the linkage is bad remove the plastic cover to get a look.

However, mine just needed to be cleaned and tightened.

Align the wipers straight like they were originally and tighten the nut. Pop the cover back on done..
You're a badass!!!! Thanks dude! Put it in the How To section and you get some rep points from me. You da man!

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Silver Dude will become famous soon enough Silver Dude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachhart View Post
Same thing just happened to me - same situation - ice on the windshield, etc. I removed everything, reattached the linkage, and put it back together. But, then it just happened again. I'm not sure if I am going to have to buy new linkage, or if reattaching it again and securing it with something as you said would be sufficient. Thoughts? If I need to go buy the linkage, any idea where to get it?
Did you find any flaws? Was the linkage disconnected? Those plastic buttons turn themselves out of the rods. If the little plastic friction lock broke.

I drew this up in MS paint real quick to give you a idea of what I mean. It might not look exactly the same. It's been a year or so since I repaired mine on my Nissan hardbody so my brain might be a little rusty as to exactly how it looks in there. I know its common as I took mine apart and found that previous owner had did the ziptie trick already on a few of the rods. I actually used bailing wire as it won't dry out and crack like a zip tie but same idea.

Pretty much everywhere there is a arrow with that goofy looking grease gun in this picture is one of those rod end plastic pieces.

Usually if this is your problem you will find the plastic insert stuck to the ball and the metal rod flopping about.

Last edited by Silver Dude; 12-15-2008 at 12:26 AM.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.