Question about towing - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 PM
psycho9x
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
psycho9x is on a distinguished road
Question about towing

Ok so im going to be getting a hitch installed on my X to tow a small boat, pop-up trailer and a utility trailer...not all at once of course :-)

Now heres the Q when the towing capacity is say 10k pounds does that mean the subtract the weight of vehicle and cargo and the remainder can be the weight of the trailer? say the X is 5k with cargo and 3 passengers thus meaning the trailer weight could be 5k?

Also whats all the jive about tongue weight? My assumptions is the amount of downward force the X can handle at the hitch? I believe its rated at 500 pounds. I would assume that if i can pick up the trailer and move it by hand that i shouldnt have to worry about it being to heavy...as a note im a small guy so anything i can pickup is a miracle lol
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
Right, if you can pick up the trailer tongue and hitch it up without a jack or tongue wheel then it should be well within the limit of the hitch.
However you do want to make sure that the trailer is a bit tongue heavy as that will help it track behind your vehicle and be more controllable under braking (assuming the trailer doesn't have it's own brakes).

I think the towing capacity of the X is only 5k lbs, which means that is the maximum weight it can safely pull & control; though at that kind of weight with our size vehicles you should probably have a load levelling hitch with REALLY good electric brakes. Even at that, you'll probably have moments where you wonder if your pulling the trailer or it's driving the X.

Generally if you can manhandle the trailer around the only thing you need to watch for is improper loading, ie getting the trailer tail heavy as then it will act all kinds of weird going down the highway, matter of fact, it may even pass you on the highway.

This is what happens when you pull too much trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxyZAx5hs-I

How to control sway : http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
#3 Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 AM
psycho9x
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
psycho9x is on a distinguished road
Hey man thanks for the info, I definitely LOL'd watching that video. are the brake controllers easy to wire up? Im not afraid of dismantling a wire harness just wondering if they're plug and play or if you have to splice.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Found a couple oopsies on trailer mistakes.

Unhitched : http://video.google.com/videosearch?...sh&hl=en&emb=0

Gust of wind : http://video.google.com/videosearch?...sh&hl=en&emb=0

Remember to check trailer height & width! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Krj...eature=related

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
#5 Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
I've used brake controllers before but never wired them, will have to let someone else chime in on those for the X.

2009 OR Xterra
#6 Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
The Xterra is rated to tow 3500# if you have a manual and 5000# if you have an auto. Ideally about 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. Always load the trailer with more weight to the front.
#7 Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
TN4x4Xterra

2001 Xterra
TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough
Agreed with K1 on this one.
Very nice job with the videos!
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Creepy Cruiser
I'm kinda wacko

06 Zterra Xterra
Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold
They do have direct plug and play brake controlers for the gen2, but I'm not sure about the gen1. Just do some google searching and see what you can find.
06 Zterra Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.