2004 Xterra Oil Leakage (Picture) - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 AM
paramedicironman

2004 Xterra
paramedicironman is on a distinguished road
2004 Xterra Oil Leakage (Picture)

Hey guys,
New owner of a 04' Xterra - love it! Anyways, I noticed a very small collection of oil drying on my garage floor last night, so naturally, I poked my head up under the frame. Oh boy - sure found something. Notice the picture. Sorry for the extreme closeness of the photo - not much room. Guessing that is my oil pan? I bought the xterra from a dealer - carfax had a clean 1 owner history but living near the shore. Guessing the salt air might have rusted away the oil pan? Current mileage is 115k. No problems otherwise - oil light is not on, and the oil level looks a bit overfilled, but close to the max amount.

So questions:

1: That is the oil pan correct? I'm guessing yes, since it has the drain plug lol
2: What's most likely the problem? Simple or big fix from those who have this problem? Going in today to get it checked for an estimate and diagnostic.
3: Solutions? lol

Thanks!
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Mogman
Phreak

2011 Pro4X Xterra
Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks
Garage
Wow. Judging by the amount of corrosion under there, I would say that your oil leak is not a problem, but a feature.

I would replace that entire oil pan. It's hard to tell but it looks like it's exfoliating in places. The pan should cost you around $100 and a gasket should cost you under $10. No clue what the labor would be, but I can't imagine it taking more than an hour to do.

Any real man knows the only manly trucks are the ones that require more maintenance than their woman.
Mog build: http://picasaweb.google.com/gaggenauster/Unimog#
2011 Pro4X Xterra
#3 Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 AM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
^^^ a lot more than an hour if it's 4wd! That would not be a fun job.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
paramedicironman

2004 Xterra
Yup it's a 4wd - I guess we'll see what the shop says later
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Mogman
Phreak

2011 Pro4X Xterra
Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks Mogman Totally Rocks
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacular View Post
That would not be a fun job.
Especially if the hardware is corroded!

Any real man knows the only manly trucks are the ones that require more maintenance than their woman.
Mog build: http://picasaweb.google.com/gaggenauster/Unimog#
2011 Pro4X Xterra
#6 Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM
paramedicironman

2004 Xterra
Shop guy said what we all were thinking - pan has to go. Nice hefty $750 charge, mostly labor, go figure (thanks 4WD). Ah well, has to be done - such is life.
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.