2007 Xterra lift - slip indicator (VDC) light comes on - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
akoz
Noob

2007 Xterra
akoz is on a distinguished road
2007 Xterra lift - slip indicator (VDC) light comes on

I just installed a front spacer and a rear aal (single leaf) and put on a set of 285/70R17 tires on the factory alloys.

For some reason, and only on hard right turns at a pretty good clip, I get the SLIP indicator light coming on.

I searched a lot of theads here and I see that a lot of people have done these mild lifts, but it seems like more gen 1's than gen 2's.

Anyone have this problem or heard of it and know what is causing it? I can shut it off but I'd feel better if I fixed it.

Thanks.
2007 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Pops
Phreak

2002/2003 Xterra
Pops has a spectacular aura about them Pops has a spectacular aura about them
Sounds to me like your shocks are maxing out. I'd contact PRG about your extended shock options so you can start saving for some good ones.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/category/xterra/

Mine are a little too short too and limit my articulation bigtime.

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 10-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
2002/2003 Xterra
#3 Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Keyz18
Unlocking Potential

2007 OR Xterra
Keyz18 has a spectacular aura about them Keyz18 has a spectacular aura about them
FYI, when I first got my tires plus lift, my slip went off all the time...the reason...me taking it too fast for a rig that's lifted + M/T tires. Furthermore, if you put any wheel shine on your tire, you're going to slip a lot more. I had to learn to approach the corners better.

2007 Off Road Night Armor KEYZ EDITION
2007 OR Xterra
#4 Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Keyz18
Unlocking Potential

2007 OR Xterra
Keyz18 has a spectacular aura about them Keyz18 has a spectacular aura about them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Sounds to me like your shocks are maxing out. I'd contact PRG about your extended shock options so you can start saving for some good ones.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/category/xterra/

Mine are a little too short too and limit my articulation bigtime.

That's a good point. How high did you lift your rig?

If you went above 2.5", you'll need to look at new shocks.

2007 OR Xterra
#5 Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
akoz
Noob

2007 Xterra
The lift up front was only 1.5" (maybe 2"). It's the spacer that goes on top of the original coil-over assembly and doesn't compress the spring. It was *supposed* to not require new shocks, but the aal wasn't *supposed* to need new U-bolts (but it did).

I was thinking that the oversized tires are no longer spinning at the same rpms at the same speed as the factory tires. I thought that might throw off the VDC and that a reflash of the pcm would be something to look at (not interested in getting whacked by the dealer or called-to-the-carpet on the lift voiding my warranty or something like that...).

Thanks for the quick replies.
2007 Xterra
#6 Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Pops
Phreak

2002/2003 Xterra
To be honest, we could use more details. Oversized, RPM's, Factory, huh??? If you changed all your tires and they are all the same size, it doesn't matter if they're monster tires. Don't reflash anything, if your Speedo is off we can help you with that but details are necessary.

Which Brand/Size Lift on the front??

Which Brand/Size AAL on the Rear??

Which Brand/Size Tires are you running on??

To be honest, those spacers on the front are just fine, it's your rear tire that is lifting off the ground. I'm pretty certain replacing the rear shocks with longer ones while slowing down around corners is your fix.

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 10-21-2008 at 03:45 PM.
2002/2003 Xterra
#7 Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Keyz18
Unlocking Potential

2007 OR Xterra
You shouldn't have any issues with those. And you're right, you will not need new shocks with that set up.

Make sure you torqued the U-Bolts to spec with a torque wrench. Also, check your tire pressure. I keep mine around 36PSI.

2007 OR Xterra
#8 Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
akoz
Noob

2007 Xterra
More info...

Ok, I'm running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. They're rated for 65 psi and I'm running them with 45 psi.

The lift kit is from Auto Spring Corp. out of Boise, ID. I went back and looked at the info and they claim 2 1/2" front and 1 1/2"-2" rear lift/leveling.

The bolts are all torqued and I even sprang for the cam bolt kit and had the alignment done by pros.

It does make sense that the rear tire might be lifting up just enough to make the system think that it's going to roll. I feel better about that. Do you still think that the right size shocks (all around or just rear) would fix that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xterra.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1429  
2007 Xterra
#9 Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Pops
Phreak

2002/2003 Xterra
Just the Rear. Your fronts are still the same because the spacer goes on top of the coil bucket. The OEM shocks are rediculously short, as you can see from mine. That looks like every bit of 2" that you got packed under the rear to me so I'm pretty certain that can max them out. I have only 4" above stock height travel in mine, I maxed them out to see. After lifting 2", I'm always topping them out since there's only 2" more remaining in the shaft. PRG is currently looking into some longer Adjustable Air Shocks for those of us Armadas who have Load Leveling suspension.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
2002/2003 Xterra
#10 Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
akoz
Noob

2007 Xterra
Sweet, thanks!

Hey Pops, how do you like those Nitto's? If I hadn't stoled those Wranglers for $400, I was going to get the Nitto's.
2007 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.