post #1 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
rsm1440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
rsm1440 is on a distinguished road
Gas Light!!

How far can you all go once your gas light comes on?

Silver 2002 SC Xterra, Nismo Catback Exhaust
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Depends on everything.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
TN4x4Xterra

2001 Xterra
TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough TN4x4Xterra is a jewel in the rough
never attempted it...I have had the gas light come on before but I always got it filled up right after the light comes on but I rarely run the gas down til the light comes on....usually fill it up when it hits 1/4 mark.
2001 Xterra
post #4 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
I get worried when I'm in unknown territory and the gas light comes on. I try not to let it happen to often. The 1st gen has a 19 gallon tank. Usually it seems it takes about 16.5 gallons to fill from when the light comes on. That theoretically means there's about 2.5 gallons left. The fuel pump probably won't pick all of it up so at a guess I'd say you have one useable gallon left which to me means about 20 miles.

BTW I wouldn't make a habit of running it low for a couple of reasons. When the tank is low there is a far greater chance of the pump sucking up the gunk which means fuel supply problems. Also the fuel keeps the pump cool so running low could overheat the pump causing it's early demise.

It's also just as easy to keep the top half full as the bottom half....yeah I know I don't practise that either. It's a nice idea though.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
The ECM is what tells the light to come on. It monitors your driving habits. So for me it might come on when I have 2 gallons if I am a light foot. For a lead foot it will come on sooner in order to accomodate you.

In my BMW, there is a button that says range. It should give you the mileage that you are supposed to have before you fill up again. Last time it said 22 miles, and I ran out of gas. I also had a CEL. I imagine the light was from a misfire.

You have to keep in mind freeway and bumper to bumper driving.

Sometimes, I have a straight shot along a decent strip where I can get up to 55 (in my daily routine) and sometimes, I am driving down the busiest blvd in town. When you are freeway driving, the MPG are better by 1-3 gallons. So if you are on the freeway and it says you are at say 1/8 tank, then if you turn into town, you will actually be getting worse mileage after the turn off.

My new policy-Below 1/4 tank, just top off. It is safe that way, and much cheaper than a stuck injector.

Photobucket
Quote:
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Steeze
2009 Xterra of the year

2005 Xterra
Steeze has a spectacular aura about them Steeze has a spectacular aura about them
I've gone at least 40 miles with the gas light on. I love living on the edge...
2005 Xterra
post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeze View Post
i've Gone At Least 40 Miles With The Gas Light On. I Love Living On The Edge...

Yer F'in Crazee man!!!

Photobucket
Quote:
post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
i havent really pushed my X before but i know on one of our work trucks its a 08 F-550 and it has the info dash that tells how far you can drive and i have had it down to like 2-3 miles to empty... then it took 38.5 gallons ( 39 gal tank ) and $175 latwer it said 410 miles to empty... now you can call that shitty gas milage..... ( its sitting in my driveway cause it has a full tank and i need to go places this weekend... )

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here
2000 Xterra
post #9 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Duke
Veteran

Duke is on a distinguished road
I never run low on gas. Do not want the pump sucking junk.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
JaXTerra
Addict

2004 Xterra
JaXTerra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm1440 View Post
How far can you all go once your gas light comes on?

Untill it dies!!!!!! lol

2004 Canteen Metalic 4x4, PML, Thule Sport Rack, 265/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Calmini Front Winch Bumper
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.