sherrsmith419
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
sherrsmith419 is on a distinguished road
02 Xterra Thermo Control Amplifier???

So Ive been having some of the exact same issues as others on a forum Ive been reading. A/C blowing hot, a "hissing" sound when you first start or stop the unit. However, Ive taken my car to a mechanic who said it was a leak in my high pressure hose. He apparently put in freon and dye. The freon only lasted a couple of days. Could this still be the "thermo control amp" and NOT a leak????
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
If the freon is already gone then you have a leak somewhere. Did the dye spray out from any location on the system? The mechanic should have showed it to you if it was. It would kind of a shady practice if he didn't in my opinion.

I believe Tina just did a how-to on changing out the thermo unit. Sorry I can't be any more help.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 AM
X~Terror
AKA MIA Moderator

2002 2WD Xterra
X~Terror has a spectacular aura about them X~Terror has a spectacular aura about them
I actually had the same problem last year.. The high pressure hose is right in the front of the engine, on the right when you open the hood. My mechanic gave me a pair of goggles and a UV light. He showed me exactly where the leak was coming from. This repair cost me 220 with the part and the freon to put back in it. This would not be the thermo control amp.
The amp tells the compressor when it needs to turn on, it has nothing to do with the freon level. The high pressure hose seems to be a problem on the X-terra from what I have read in other forums. Get that fixed. The thermo control amp will give you ice cold air and the blow warm air intermittently when it is bad.
I hope this helps.

2002 2WD Xterra
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
Quote:
Originally Posted by X~Terror View Post
I actually had the same problem last year.. The high pressure hose is right in the front of the engine, on the right when you open the hood. My mechanic gave me a pair of goggles and a UV light. He showed me exactly where the leak was coming from. This repair cost me 220 with the part and the freon to put back in it. This would not be the thermo control amp.
The amp tells the compressor when it needs to turn on, it has nothing to do with the freon level. The high pressure hose seems to be a problem on the X-terra from what I have read in other forums. Get that fixed. The thermo control amp will give you ice cold air and the blow warm air intermittently when it is bad.
I hope this helps.
There you have it, better than I could have answered it. A/C hoses leaking in Xterras seems to be pretty common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.