SES codes back again - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
Xrider212 is on a distinguished road
SES codes back again

So I went back to autozone today because the service engine light keeps coming on in the x. It'll stay on for about 2 days and then it will turn off for a couple days and its keeps doing that. It's done that for a little over a month now. Anyways I still have the p0171 code and when I had the codes pulled today the p0300 came up also. I bought some maf sensor cleaner and did that so I'll see what that does. I also bought a new fuel filter to install soon. What would the most common cause of those codes be? The guy at autozone also asked I did the right gap on my spark plugs when I changed them. Could this be causing the p0300 code?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
And it's an 02 sc

2002 Xterra
#3 Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
emmdock
Addict

2002 Xterra
emmdock is on a distinguished road
What do those codes mean? Look em up for people and they're more likely to chime in.

2002 Xterra XE 3.3 4x4 auto | JL 500/1v2 + 10W7 | Viper 5901 remote starter | Rear sway bar delete | Bilsteins all around | IAB | 2" DIY BL | KC HiLiTES on homemade roof bar | AC Shackles/PML | 33x12.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar on Cragar Soft 8s | Skid Row skids | Yakima Loadwarrior | Beginning of a build thread

2002 Xterra
#4 Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
p0171 lean bank 1 p0300 random/multiple misfire just so all know that sounds to me like a vacuum leak somewhere check all your vacuum lines and hoses

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
I'll have to check on that tomorrow on my day off. Could the p0300 be an issue of the spark plugs not being at the proper gap from when I changed them?

2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrider212 View Post
What would the most common cause of those codes be?
Quote:
P0171 FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM FUNCTION

Malfunction is detected when fuel injection system does not operate properly, the amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large. (The mixture ratio is too lean.)

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Intake air leaks
Heated oxygen sensor 1
Injectors
Exhaust gas leaks
Incorrect fuel pressure
Lack of fuel
Mass air flow sensor
PCV system (Loose or disconnected rubber tube)
Diagnostic begins on page 1427 of section EC of the factory service manual.

Quote:
P0300 NO.6-1 CYLINDER MISFIRE, MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the CKP sensor signal to vary, ECM can determine that a misfire is occurring.

The misfire detection logic consists of the following two conditions.
1. One Trip Detection Logic (Three Way Catalyst Damage) On the first trip that a misfire condition occurs that can damage the three way catalyst (TWC) due to overheating, the MIL will blink.

When a misfire condition occurs, the ECM monitors the CKP sensor signal every 200 engine revolutions for a change. When the misfire condition decreases to a level that will not damage the TWC, the MIL will turn off. If another misfire condition occurs that can damage the TWC on a second trip, the MIL will blink. When the misfire condition decreases to a level that will not damage the TWC, the MIL will remain on. If another misfire condition occurs that can damage the TWC, the MIL will begin to blink again.

2. Two Trip Detection Logic (Exhaust quality deterioration)
For misfire conditions that will not damage the TWC (but will affect vehicle emissions), the MIL will only light when the misfire is detected on a second trip. During this condition, the ECM monitors the CKP sensor signal every 1,000 engine revolutions.

A misfire malfunction can be detected on any one cylinder or on multiple cylinders. Malfunction is detected when multiple cylinders misfire, No. 1 cylinder misfires, No. 2 cylinder misfires, No. 3 cylinder misfires, No. 4 cylinder misfires, No. 5 cylinder misfires and No. 6 cylinder misfires.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Improper spark plug
Insufficient compression
Incorrect fuel pressure
The injector circuit is open or shorted
Injectors
Intake air leak
The ignition secondary circuit is open or shorted
Lack of fuel
Drive plate or flywheel
Heated oxygen sensor 1
Incorrect distributor rotor
Diagnostic begins on page 1462 of section EC of the factory service manual.

Notice that some of the possible causes for both codes are the same so one issue could be causing both codes.

Do yourself a favor and run through the diagnostic procedure and find the cause of the codes rather than replacing a bunch of parts and guessing what is the source of the problem.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#7 Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
Sounds good ill get on that tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks for the help

2002 Xterra
#8 Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
So I found this hose not connected to anything and I can't tell if its a vacuum hose or not and I also can't find anyplace where it would go to...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1361914108.143990.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	9597

2002 Xterra
#9 Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrider212 View Post
So I found this hose not connected to anything and I can't tell if its a vacuum hose or not and I also can't find anyplace where it would go to...Attachment 9597

Looks like you have a K&N or alike installed, normally that line goes to a nipple on the side of the airbox.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#10 Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Xrider212

2002 Xterra
That's what I was figuring. The light came on once I did the air box mod so I'm guessing that may be my problem. What would options be for that and is that what is causing the codes?

2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.