winch options - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM
RebelChief

2003 Xterra
RebelChief is on a distinguished road
winch options

I have not seen a thread about winches and I wanted to see everyone's opinion and advice on buying a winch. I have a 2wd and I can't take on hard trails but Iv been stuck and I can get stuck easier than a 4wd so I wanna get one to self recover. Thanks for input.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
dmski
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
dmski is on a distinguished road
Lots of info around. Warn is highly respected, but be aware that you need a place to mount your winch. Best options are winch bumpers (Schrock, etc) but some have been able to fab up winch mount plates that can be bolted/welded to the frame. If your looking to buy a winch, there is a lot of other equipment to remember.

In my opinion, unless your offroading a ton alone, I wouldn't worry too much about a winch and just go with buddies who can pull you out. More fun with friends too!

2000 Xterra XE 5-spd

Build Thread: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51338
  • [X] Light Bar with 4 Hella Lights
  • [X] 2 Rear Flood Lights
  • [X] CB/Firestick Install
  • [ ] Relocate Rear Axle Breather
  • [ ] Lobo Rack
  • [X] Seafoam
  • [X] Mudflap/sidesteps delete
  • [X] Window Vinyl
  • [X] Front Tow Hook Replace
  • [X] Tow Hitch Install
  • [ ] Rock Sliders
  • [ ] PML
  • [X] Front Winch Bumper/Plate
  • [X] Full 120xxx Mile Service
  • [X] Rear Cargo Organizer
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
RebelChief

2003 Xterra
I mostly go camping and exploring the deserts of southern California but it's mostly with just my girlfriend so I need to have a method to get us out. A bumper is already on the way. Just wanted to know if the bargain winches were a good affordable option. If seen a few 8k lbs for like 300.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
I have a harbor frieght winch, it has pulled myself and friends out time and time again, it's slower then most but still works great... Whenever I'm stuck Ill winch my self out over being pulled anytime much easier to control the situation
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM
RebelChief

2003 Xterra
yeah i get what you mean and i was looking at the harbor freight winches but wasnt sure if it was too good to be true. iv been lucky enough to be saved by a few jeeps on some trails but i hate depending on others especially if i can get myself out. by the way great Xterra i love your build!!
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 AM
RebelChief

2003 Xterra
i guess the main point of this is to find out whats the minimum lbs rating, what gear ratios, what type of winch (if there is different types) i just need to be better educated on winches so i can make a good decision.
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
I wouldn't mind hearing a few others chime on on this either...now that I have a winch bumper I find myself looking around...

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 AM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
I read an article about a couple that drove a land rover across Africa. It was a pretty capable machine but it had no winch and they tackled some pretty gnarly terrain.

The man made a comment that "stuck" with me it went something along the lines of how you are more willing to tackle an obstacle outside your equipment (or your own) capability than you normally would. Then you start getting dependent on the winch and the one time it fails will probably be when you are really stuck...

But I will admit it has a cool-factor and I still want one haha
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsXE View Post
I read an article about a couple that drove a land rover across Africa. It was a pretty capable machine but it had no winch and they tackled some pretty gnarly terrain.

The man made a comment that "stuck" with me it went something along the lines of how you are more willing to tackle an obstacle outside your equipment (or your own) capability than you normally would. Then you start getting dependent on the winch and the one time it fails will probably be when you are really stuck...

But I will admit it has a cool-factor and I still want one haha
I'd agree with that some...I would definitely be willing to try some harder terrain knowing that I have the winch safety net...but trying something outside of your comfort zone isn't necessarily bad...it's how you get better and learn more as long as you are being careful.

I never really had a plan to get a winch, I've never needed one thus far. But I figure since I have the winch bumper now, it wouldn't hurt to get one. I'd probably go with a cheaper harbor freight type of deal...I don't offroad enough to justify 500+ dollars for a winch. Not sure what kind of strength rating etc I would need for one though. Haven't heard a lot about them

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
The minimum weight you want is 8k the general rule is vehicle weight times 1.5....also it depends on your terrain rocks and suck 8k is good... If you get bogged down with mud and have lots of areas where the vehicle can sink you will want more pulling power like a 10k....

The smitty built x20 winches are a great bang for your buck as well....

Nothing will beat the price point of a harbor frieght badlands winch though... It can be had for around $280 with a 20% off coupon and for $20 can be made witless with a remote
2004 Xterra

Tags
options , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.