A/T transmission removal 2001 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Tashier

2001 Xterra
Tashier is on a distinguished road
A/T transmission removal 2001

Been working on an 01 for 2 days trying to get the transmission out. I've had my fair share of time under a car so I don't consider myself incapable. However, this is becoming a major challenge. Almost 2 hours to get one bolt out between the engine/trans up above the hammer head oil pan and behind the trans cooling lines etc. etc. Just trying to get the cover plate off the front of the trans so I can separate the torque convertor/drive plate. I have the service manual but that thing is horrible. No specifics or diagrams. Any help would be appreciated.

Trans is coming out for rear main seal and also doing the front cats.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
mac11 will become famous soon enough
need to remove a bunch of stuff to get the trans down.

i took off the small brackets that hold the trans cooler lines so they can be moved.
remove a section of exhaust, i think they y-pipe, so you can
remove the t-bars so you can remove the cross member that they attach to
then the trans can come down once all the bolts are out of the bell housing.

To get to all the bellhousing bolts easier I had a long set of extensions and a swivel.

I wasn't expecting to have to take the exhaust and cross-member down but it really wasn't too bad.

and get a trans jack or a few good beefy friends, as its a heavy mother.

*Note: All posts I make on this site are fictional for entertainment purposes only. They are not legal advice, actual events, equipment owned or actual locations. If it bothers you, quit being so fragile.
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Tashier

2001 Xterra
How did you get the little sheet metal cover off the front of the trans to get to the torque convertor to unbolt it?
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
I'm not even sure what little sheet metal cover you're talking about.

you have to go through the starter hole to unbolt the tq converter from the flex plate.

*Note: All posts I make on this site are fictional for entertainment purposes only. They are not legal advice, actual events, equipment owned or actual locations. If it bothers you, quit being so fragile.

Last edited by mac11; 02-19-2013 at 12:35 PM.
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Tashier

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
I'm not even sure what little sheet metal cover you're talking about.

you have to go through the starter hole to unbolt the tq converter from the flex plate.
Interesting, that's not what the crappy service manual said. I have the starter off but I can't even get it down out of the vehicle either. Now what's the trick for that. Seriously, I've worked on a ton of vehicles, including Ferrari's, this one ranks up there in the highest degree of difficulty.
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
I had the same experience with the starter the first time I took it out. After you get the procedure it comes out in about 15 minutes.

It basically rotates out towards the pass. wheel. Might need to loosen up the brackets for the auto trans fluid lines to work it around some more.

2002 Xterra
#7 Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
And p.s these trucks are simple after working on VAG vehicles. Holy shit do they make some odd/bad engineering choices.

2002 Xterra
#8 Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Tashier

2001 Xterra
For the love of all that's holy. Another night, transmission is still in. We did make some progress. Starter is out, torque convertor is unbolted, front cross member off (holding front diff) harness all disconnected (I think) All the bolts out between trans and engine. Start dropping the trans and there still isn't room to drop it out. @#$%!@#!!!! Are you telling me the cross member the torsion bars are bolted to needs to come out too???

This is becoming insane. 4 nights into it....
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
need to remove a bunch of stuff to get the trans down.

i took off the small brackets that hold the trans cooler lines so they can be moved.
remove a section of exhaust, i think they y-pipe, so you can
remove the t-bars so you can remove the cross member that they attach to
then the trans can come down once all the bolts are out of the bell housing.

To get to all the bellhousing bolts easier I had a long set of extensions and a swivel.

I wasn't expecting to have to take the exhaust and cross-member down but it really wasn't too bad.

and get a trans jack or a few good beefy friends, as its a heavy mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashier View Post
@#$%!@#!!!! Are you telling me the cross member the torsion bars are bolted to needs to come out too???

This is becoming insane. 4 nights into it....

yes.

2002 Xterra
#10 Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Tashier

2001 Xterra
Wow, T-bars have to go huh? Guess when I saw T-bars, I wasn't thinking Torsion bars...

So what's the procedure for that? I have NEVER worked on T-bars and never wanted to but guess it's crash course time now. Thanks for the help so far.
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.