Timing Chain/Guide Replacement Opinions - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
XGolden
Noob

2005 Xterra
XGolden is on a distinguished road
Question Timing Chain/Guide Replacement Opinions

Ok,
A little bit of back story. I love the X, always have. In fact, I did a lot of convincing, and that is why my wife purchased the X. Now, she has a new Sonata (35mpg sure is NICE!) and I have inherited the X and sold my 2000 Frontier Crew Cab.

Now on to info about the X. She is a 2005 SE 2WD auto in stock form with 86,000 miles. The only problem with her, is she is black, and will swirl just looking at her wrong. Keeps my detailing supplies and buffer busy. But I am getting off of track. I had my Nissan dealership check for the timing/guide TSB, and give me a quote so that I could send it to Nissan and have a case opened. They denied any help, which hey, it couldn't hurt to try. Now my worry is the transmission. I had kept saying that I was going to do the bypass, and add a 2nd transmission cooler, but just never got around to it. So I decided I was going to send an ATF sample to an oil sampling business and have them check for coolant. If the truck had coolant in the transmission, she was getting traded, as II wasn't fixing the transmission AND the timing chains/guides. Well, the sample came back yesterday. No coolant, and the wear #s looked great. They said it looked like a sample from a transmission with 35,000 miles on it. This makes me feel a lot better, and along with fixing the timing chain/guide issue, and being a 2WD, I think this truck will last me for some time.

Even though the stealership quoted me $1300 for the TSB service, which I thought was a decent price looking at other quotes, since Nissan is offering no help I am now off looking for a local mechanic to do the work.

I figure if I can get a mechanic to do the above work AND replace the waterpump and thermostat while they are at it for the same price or less I would be good to go. I of course emailed a bunch of mechanics in and around the area with a generic email asking about price on the service. I did this, as I hadn't gotten my report back, and didn't want to call everyone individually to waste my time if the transmission did indeed have coolant in it. I got 1 back. Yes 1. $1150 for the secondary chains, guides, waterpump, and thermostat. Ok, that sounds decent, what about adding the main timing chain in with that? $1600? Wow, big jump.

Now onto some of my questions. Does the main timing chain ($90) require that much extra items to install to bump the price up that much? This probably won't be who performs the service, just a starting point in price. Should I replace the main timing chain while they have it open, or is the main timing chain not being worn down by the noise, and should last another 120,000 miles? Should I order the parts (if they let me) and have them install, or should the parts they put in be the updated ones? Does anyone offer a complete kit of parts for sale for this? I could have sworn I saw CourtesyParts with it, but never could find it again.

Ok, I am done. For anyone that has read this book, and offers their opinion, I thank you!!!
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
Well my first bit of advice on this would be to ask does your X need this? You've mentioned how much money these places want to charge to do this service, but is there anything going on that is making you feel this needs to be done? I went through the 05 Xterra TSBs and the only thing I found that mentions the chains is if there is a buzzing/whining noise coming from them.

So let us know what's going on and maybe we'll have some more advice for ya
2005 Xterra
#3 Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM
XGolden
Noob

2005 Xterra
XGolden is on a distinguished road
Yes, I had my local Nissan Dealership confirm that it was in fact TSB NTB09-128.
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
Hmmm, so the issue is with the secondary timing chain system. If that's the case I'd still probably forgo changing the main timing chain to save some money. At 86,000 miles that timing chain should still have a LOT of life to it as long as it hasn't been run consistently over 4-5k RPM, at least the 120,000 miles really. And changing a timing chain can be a big deal for several reasons, including keeping everything lined up, having the proper tools like the pullers, and in some cases replacing the gears as well as the chains.

I'm afraid I'm not sure who might have a whole package for chains and such. Though you might try checking ShiftNissanParts as sometimes they've got really good deals on stock parts.

Good luck getting that all sorted!
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.