Help!! Very poor mpg - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Alex Montayre

2000 Xterra
Alex Montayre is on a distinguished road
Help!! Very poor mpg

I recently did a tune up on my 2000 xterra that had 135k on it. When i bought it i pretty much could tell it never had one so i bought ngk everything and got it down I also got the fuel injectors flushed. Bad news is im only averaging 11mpg, when im supposed to be getting 15-17 city and 18-19 hwy. I have no idea what else could be effecting my mpg this badly. The Check engine light is on, but i was told by advance auto its a common sensor that gets tripped with the 3.3v6 motor nissan puts in the xterra and frontier. If anyone has suggestions or anything it wud help alot. thanks.

-Alex
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
Knock sensor maybe what they are talking about. Is the truck running fine, maybe a little down on power, but not much?
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Alex Montayre

2000 Xterra
Yes he did mention something about the knock sensor. Ive only had the truck for a month, so i cant really tell if its low on power or not. He gave me the codes i gotta find them. Is that an easy sensor to replace? But, yes the car runs fine if the sensor wasnt on i wouldnt even notice anything was wrong lol.
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
xearth
Addict

2000 Xterra
xearth is on a distinguished road
I'm getting about 11 mpg in my 2000 with 140k. I'm chalking it up to "winter grade gas", but I wouldn't expect to get 19 mpgs out of of a tank ever. My BEST tank ever was 15.7 and that was only highway driving
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
try disconnecting the battery for a little bit to clear that code out. Drive around for awhile, and see what your MPG are then, and check after a bit of driving and see if the code is back,
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
I get 11-13 from the SC around town. Have been able to push 18 out on the highway running Nevada fuel but with the bad gas we have in California, it's not surprising.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Alex Montayre

2000 Xterra
alright ill have to try that soon and let u guys know if anything changes. Thanks for the advice!!
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Chef is on a distinguished road
Yes chalk it up to winter grade gas
2003 Xterra
#9 Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 PM
DieselXterra
Veteran

2002 Xterra
DieselXterra is on a distinguished road
To the dude with poor MPG. With 135k make sure to get that Timing belt ASAP!
Then make sure you got the right plugs for your X. NGK Platinum tipped! Second might as well get new Plug wires then go ahead and check the distributor inside.
Change all your fluids, the tranny needs to be flushed with a special machine and add some royal purple, just a tad. Motor oil to Royal Purple. Air Filter (not that K&N crap, it opens up the air but also takes in more dirt)
Next pull out your Wheel Bearings and clean them out and the housing and repack them in FRESH GREASE (BOY What a difference it makes!) Get an allignment BUT with 135k your bushings could be worn enough to screw up your allignment right away. Get new bushings. You have to press out the old and press in the new (Get at least Polyurethane)
Shocks and tires. Bilstein or Rancho's and Michellins. This all should get her up to spec.
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
DieselXterra
Veteran

2002 Xterra
DieselXterra is on a distinguished road
OH>.. Check to see if your fronts brakes are dragging. You might not feel it so much but put the car up and spin the front wheels, they should move freely, if not then you need to get new brake calipers or try to at least clean the old ones, grease up the sliders, free up the pistons if they stuck. If you need to know how ask me.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.