good tire size on 2 inch BL - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
mudhawg1

2001 Xterra
mudhawg1 is on a distinguished road
good tire size on 2 inch BL

Just bought a 2001 xterra yesterday.Im thinking about 2 inch BL to fit bigger tires.are 33' mud tires the biggest to keep good accelration.and how much trimming is needed.also is the front and rear both lifted with the 2 inch BL KIT.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Last question first. Yes, the 2" BL lifts the whole body up 2" off of the frame.

If you are hoping to maintain good acceleration, a mud terrain is not going to be a good choice. The much more aggressive tread pattern comes at a price of increased rolling resistance and are typically much heavier than an all-terrain or road tire. Both of these factors will hurt both your acceleration and mpg's.

You can fit up to a 33" tire but you, at a minimum, will have to cut most all of the plastics behind the front wheels. I also cut 1" of sheet metal as well for mine to fully clear. BUT... I also run a 12.50" wide tire on a rim with a shorter backspacing than the factory alloys.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#3 Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
I personally run a PML and a 2" BL and I fit 33" tires with 60% of my flex only having to cut off the down bend in my mudflaps. pretty much the mudflap is whole. Anytime you go larger tire + Mud tire your acceleration is going to go down the crapper.

Here is mine

It is running 33X12.50 R16

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Skys what's the actual size on your tires?

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
AC Shackles/UCAs, 2" BL, 33x10.5" BFG ATs on Desert Runners, ARB front bumper, Skid Row rear bumper, Calmini IAB, AC HD TRAs, Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, Bilsteins, K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Doug Thorley Headers, some audio stuff, backup camera.
Shovel Mount
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
That is the actual size 33X12.50 R16 which is equivalent to 305/70 R16 I think

2002 Nissan Xterra

2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingSkys View Post
That is the actual size 33X12.50 R16 which is equivalent to 305/70 R16 I think
Are you sure on that? Interco doesn't list the thornbird being made in a 12.50 for a 16" rim. Only 11.50.

Wasn't looking it up for that reason though, I wanted to see the true size of the tire. Companies rarely produce a tire that is the size stated. This is what causes a lot of differences between what someone had to trim. For example, the thornbird tsl is 32.4" in diameter. I believe the ssr is close to 34". Yet both are stamped a 33".

Just something to keep in mind.

Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#7 Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Oh, I thought you were asking about the Rocky Peak Falcons Drake. my bad. The rocky peak Falcons were/are 33X12.50 R 16.

The Thornbirds are in fact 33 X11.50 R16. Regarding the Thorn birds I actually found the X cannot run effectively with the stock backspacing. I did not have a rubbing problem with the actual size of the thornbird because as drake stated they were smaller slightly.
They are As drake stated 32.4". I did however have a HUGE issue with the "knobs" that protrude from the side of the tire/ They actually rubbed the .... Steering knuckle/Control arm if I recall correctly. When I would be in about 70% turn and start a slow acceleration the steering knuckle would rip the knobs off the sides. I think before I finally replaced them they had like 1/4 the knobs left on the side.

To sum it all up the tires on now in the first picture needed a little bit of trimming of the mudflaps and an adjustment to the steering stops to correct for my loss of turn radius. Once done I only get rubbing when roughly at a 45 Degree turn while at 25% compression(small hill/Driveway) and it is VERY SLIGHT and ONLY AT roughly 45 degrees and when the vehicle is moving straight and the suspension compresses about 60-75%(large speed bump/Large hill). I decided that I had no reason to cut the trim to heck quite yet as most of the small trails I do do not require that much articulation of the front wheels. Basically I compensate for it.

The Thornbirds required only a small tab being taken off the mudflap. The one that face up and has no real reason to be there. It did rub at like 75% Compression. It also Rubbed The steering knuckle/Control arm I do not remember which it rubbed on.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 02-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Didn't even notice the other tire. Lol. And I wasn't trying to call you out either. I just know from experience that interco tires vary in actual sizes more than any other I've seen. I didn't even think about those huge side lugs on thornbirds. Heck, with those, the tire was probably more like a 13.50. Lol

Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#9 Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Ye, I know Drake we are all good. If you missed it he might have because the picture is VERY dark. I was also in a rush when I wrote the first post so I figured I would elaborate and provide additional information.

If I was in your position I would have asked the same question. Who knows maybe you wanted to buy one that size they are sexy. If it was not for the knobs and them being discontinued I would have probably bought a new set. They made the X look awesome in person.

2002 Nissan Xterra

2002 Xterra
#10 Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
mudhawg1

2001 Xterra
mudhawg1 is on a distinguished road
That's what I fig.cant go real big i dont want overheating and clutch issues aswell.it'll be a daily driver around the country,backroads some interstate etc.I wasn't looking for a real aggressive meat like a spoon,interco,mudhawg more like a mainstream tire.probly a 285-75-16 or possibly 305 toyo mtr or buckshot.just don't want baby tires under the 2 inch BL. looking for rims aswell nothing real fancy.prefer black.and would like them to stick out a little ways from the fenders.any opinions/advice welcome.I've always had diesels and trucks this is my first short wheel base-suv type vehicle
2001 Xterra

Tags
biggest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.