Oh no... - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
ryan_calif is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Oh no...

My heart skipped a beat this morning when I drove my '01 Xterra (3.3L) out to go on a hike.

I drove it about 5-10 min or so, parked, looked out my rear view mirror, and what do I see? A tad bit of white vapor coming from the tailpipe. The first thing that popped in my head was... head gasket...

So got out, walked around back and watched the tail pipe for a bit... just a little bit of what looked like water vapor coming out. I revved the car a bit, and it didn't get any more intense, it just stayed about the same. I then got in, drove for a bit longer, came back, and the vapor/smoke was gone. I let it sit a bit longer there idling and then the tailpipe started to drip water (it was dry immediately after I got back from the drive).

I looked under the hood, checked the coolant reservoir - not brown, milky or bubbling; it was green. Looked at the oil dipstick - it looked totally normal. Looked at the oil cap - looked normal too. Engine seems to be running fine.

I haven't driven it around long enough to see if the coolant level is dropping, but I will be doing that. It doesn't appear to be though based on the two times I checked. The car has never been overheated, and the engine is never raced.

So the only things I can come up with are: Excess water in the exhaust turning to steam, water in my fuel tank, or the head gasket. I brought up the first two options because I frequently leave my Xterra parked for long periods of time between drives (~usually a week). I've had the same gas in the tank for over 2 months now.

Any ideas would be welcome! I'm at a fork in the road on whether or not to take a hit and get it fixed, or buy a new car. Thanks!

2001 XE 4WD Manual Mineral Blue

Last edited by ryan_calif; 02-01-2013 at 02:35 PM.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Water vapor from the exhaust is pretty normal, especially when it is cold and humid outside. I would say if its below about 40 degrees out my x has water dripping from the exhaust. its not always something wrong with the truck, under certain circumstances it is normal.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#3 Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
Well, it was 52 degrees this morning, so not very vold. Plus the humidity here is low.

Do you think that is still normal?

2001 Xterra
#4 Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
yep, normal to me.

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Yeah it is very normal. If you dont believe us watch it everyday. All cars will have white vapor upon start up. When the combustion process happens N, H2o, and Co2. If you look at your exhaust after it starts up you will always see water leaving the tail pipe. That is why they have Weep holes in mufflers. Overnight the internals of the engine "sweat" and that condensation gets burned out upon initial start as well as H2o is a continuous creation from all 6 of your cylinders. The white smoke should disappear within 8-10 minutes. If it does not and it warms up with white smoke then you know you have a problem.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Also ethanol in modern gas is an anhydrous form of ethanol that has a very low water content in it. When the fuel sits for any period of time, it will pull moisture out of the air and into the gas. This can also cause you to see some water vapor from the exhaust. It will also make your vehicle run like crap if your truck sets for long periods of time without running.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#7 Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingSkys View Post
Yeah it is very normal. If you dont believe us watch it everyday. All cars will have white vapor upon start up. When the combustion process happens N, H2o, and Co2. If you look at your exhaust after it starts up you will always see water leaving the tail pipe. That is why they have Weep holes in mufflers. Overnight the internals of the engine "sweat" and that condensation gets burned out upon initial start as well as H2o is a continuous creation from all 6 of your cylinders. The white smoke should disappear within 8-10 minutes. If it does not and it warms up with white smoke then you know you have a problem.
Define "warms up"...

When I think of warmed up, the coolant temp gauge is in its normal steady position.

I've seen other people say warmed up is when you drive it for a while (~15 min or so) since the exhaust system lags behind the engine getting up to temperature.

Anyway, it was still steaming a bit when the engine was warm. Not big large puffs, but little stream of vapor and water dripping out. However, after I took it for a drive, and parked again, it was gone. I revved the engine a bit and let it sit and idle for about 5 minutes. No steam.

Then I turned it off, came back about an hour and a half later, started it up, let it sit for about 2 minutes and there was just a little bit of steam coming out.

We'll see I guess. I was driving around yesterday in our other car and noticed other people's tailpipes steaming at about the same rate... and it was roughly the same temp and humidity out. I'm only concerned because when the coolant temp needle was at its normal position, it was still steaming a bit... but the drive seemed to make it go away.

Sorry if I'm blowing this out of proportion here.

Last edited by ryan_calif; 02-02-2013 at 09:24 AM.
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
Well, I'm beginning to feel like there really is a problem with it.

I started it up again today (around 62 degrees, 40% humidity). Let it idle about 20 minutes until the temperature gauge was in the middle. Truck was running fine, no missing or roughness. However, water was dripping (about 1 every two seconds) out of the tailpipe and there was about a 4 inch radius puddle underneath it.

I got in, brought the engine RPMs up a little, and sure enough, a little bit of steam came out with splatters of water. The steam was very hard to see, as there wasn't a lot of it, but the water seemed excessive given the weather outside. Strangely, coolant level seems stable and there doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the reservoir.... however, I do notice a bit of a coolant smell in the engine compartment.

At this point, I'm going to take it in on Monday to have it checked out. Unfortunately I live about 90 miles from a Nissan dealer, so I'll probably have a local place look at it. If it is in fact the gasket, what should I roughly expect to pay? Is it common to have both head gaskets replaced while they are working on it?

Thanks guys. You've all been great!

Last edited by ryan_calif; 02-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM
dyna105
Noob

2004 Xterra
dyna105 is on a distinguished road
Everything you have mention is normal for around here in western North Carolina. Even in the low to mid 60's. If you want to try, take a plate,plastic bag or anything that you can put under your tail pipe in the morning and let the engine idle. You should only catch clear water with soot. If you have a internal coolant loss you will see what ever color of antifreeze you are running along with soot. At most take it and have the coolant system pressured tested to give yourself a little piece of mind. After my 2004 set for 3 weeks and I started it up it was dripping from the muffler and the tail pipe and that was in a 60degree shop.
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
Sound 100% normal. I've had the exhaust on my motorcycle put out vapor in 75 degree weather.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.