KS relocation mod question - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
Orlanda is on a distinguished road
KS relocation mod question

I'm getiing ready to do the knock sensor relocation mod on my 2002 SC xterrra because it is apparently stuck in safe mode due to a faulty knock sensor. I have the parts and the instructions (thanks guys!) but the x in the photos is different from mine and i'm not sure where on the intake manifold to mount my new ks. any ideas? here's a pic of mine, and a link to the instructions i'm using with pics at bottom
http://tunfs.yuku.com/topic/363/Knoc...r-PO327?page=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130131_125028.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	9455  
2002 SC Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlanda View Post
I'm getiing ready to do the knock sensor relocation mod on my 2002 SC xterrra because it is apparently stuck in safe mode due to a faulty knock sensor. I have the parts and the instructions (thanks guys!) but the x in the photos is different from mine and i'm not sure where on the intake manifold to mount my new ks. any ideas? here's a pic of mine, and a link to the instructions i'm using with pics at bottom
http://tunfs.yuku.com/topic/363/Knoc...r-PO327?page=1
If you going in to replace the KS just replace it. I don't suggest the relocation for your S/C motor. The KS is there to protect your motor. With it relocated it cannot do its job and detect a knock. You can possibly reduce the life or ruin your motor. I'd rather have safe mode than NO mode!
2001 SE Xterra
#3 Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
you know what it feels like when u try to start in 2nd gear rather than first? that's what my truck feels like all the time. it has no power at all. I am not confident enough to start removing the entire intake manifold, supercharger, and whatever else is all in the way to get at the knock sensor. I've been repeatedly refered to this mod as the best option for me. It's not irreversible so if it doesnt work I can put it back the way it is now and rob a liquer store to pay for the repairs.
I still don't know where to locate the new sensor tho, so maybe i'll just try the by-pass thing. I didn't really want to do that but, I can't drive the truck the way it is now...
2002 SC Xterra
#4 Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Everyones got an opinion here, some based on truths and some based on myths.

If anything the way rotational mass works a farther out working knock sensor will be more sensitive then a closer in one. At any rate there should be a few open holes on the passenger side of the intake manifold that you can put a bolt in to relocate the sensor.
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
muddy

2002 Xterra
muddy is on a distinguished road
what kind of gas do you use? I think you have another issue if the truck is "not driveable this way" I would look into that first.
If you decide to do the relocation for your sc model be prepared for the catalyst's melting internally and a significantly reduced motor life. At work I've seen many people do the relocation and it never was a smart choice in the end. I think the engineers at Nissan thought long and hard of where to put that sensor.
Just my two cents
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
Unhappy truck still gutless after ks bypass

I ended up doing the $2 by-pass fix, with questionable results. I have noticed some improvement in power, but not nearly back the way it should be. I have been using only hi octane fuel, plus octane boost in every second tank, for the past month since the problem started. If I hadn't seen the thing on "Marketplace" that said there is no difference between regular and premium gas to most vehicles I probably would never have used regular gas in the first place, which seems to be the cause of all this.
On Monday I will take it back to the shop and have them scan for codes again and see what comes up, as well as give me an estimate to fix the muffler, which is rattling and ticking. I suspect this is the cause of the P0430 (Catalyst low efficiency) code. In the meantime I will try not to drive it anymore than necessary as i don't want to cause anymore damage.
I am SO DISAPPOINTED with this truck. I've wanted an xterra ever since I first saw them, and am now in the hole for nearly $10,000 and dont have a properly functioning vehicle. I have only had the thing since Oct, I bought it from a used car dealer on the mainland, it has no warranty, and I can't take it back. Its an 02 with 140,000km on it now, it should have been good for a few years with nothing but regular maintenence. this is crap. Im at the point where i'd just get rid of it, at a loss, if i thought i could...
2002 SC Xterra
#7 Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM
john-k
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
john-k is on a distinguished road
i know i how you feel. if you were local i would help you replace your ks. i replaced mine and love it but it was a entire day doing it but i would have no problems replacing it again since itll be easier the next time i have to do it.

2002 xterra v-6 s/c 4x4
2005 ktm450smr-race bike--sold
pimped out crf50!

2002 Xterra
#8 Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Chef is on a distinguished road
Have you had your car properly diagnosed. You are knocking and something is causing it, check your timing, make sure you are using the right fuel and check your plugs and wires. maybe might want to clean out your throttle body. keep it simple dont over complicate it

Edited to add

Check out your catalytic converter it may have given up the ghost
2003 Xterra
#9 Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
you guys are right, there must be more problems than just the obvious. Monday i'm going to try to get a full diagnostic and take it from there. I'm having a really hard time finding anyone who knows anything about this, let alone is willing to work on it. I don't want to take it to the dealership, they're too far away and they've treated me like crap from day 1 anyway.
I want to thank you guys tho, this forum, the DIYs, and everyone who's shared their knowledge and opinions. You have been a huge help! All this computerized stuff is totally new to me (shoulda stuck with pre 1990 Ford!) and I'd have been totally lost without you, so thanks everyone.
I'll be back with more questions after I get more info...
2002 SC Xterra
#10 Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 AM
muddy

2002 Xterra
muddy is on a distinguished road
Ok, Ill see if I can help you a little. Since you are a local and all!
tell me more about your issue...
Is it running rough or does it have a lack of power?
you say you have a catalyst code? that can definitely cause a lack of power if the previous owner used regular owner and the cats are melted/plugged.
check timing as previously stated
timing belt been done? maybe jumped a tooth?
Mass air flow sensor readings ok?
also get them to check the waste gate on supercharger Ive seen them stick open and cause no boost situations
more info please....
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.