I'll be done with my truck after this... - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
I'll be done with my truck after this...

Anyone ever say that line before?

"All I want for my truck is that PML...I don't need to do any more than that...I'll be happy with that!"

Then a month later ...

"I really want those UCAs for the more leveled look....I'll throw on UCAs to level it out...then I will be happy and done!"

Then a month later...

"Wow, I still have more room in the front to go higher...I need an AAL to take full advantage of the 3" UCAs....after all, they were expensive...I gotta use up all the available lift...Then I will be done!"

In my case...I remember after I painted my plastics...and I thought...hey a PML is pretty cheap...I'll do that...I won't get too crazy with it...didn't want to get into mods on the xterra, but a longer shackle would be cool to add some height. I was convinced I would NEVER do a body lift...no need for bigger tires...what the hell would I do with roof lights...who would I ever talk to on a CB...just a PML and I am DONE! I said I'd never need armor...I wouldn't off road much...etc

Damn that mod bug!!!! I like tinkering...and offroading is a LOT more fun than when I autocrossed with my old modded BMW 318.

Share your addiction stories...how has your goal for your rig changed over time? Did you get an Xterra knowing you'd be modding it for trail use...was it a gradual evolution? Still resisting the mods for now? Did you ever set a "limit" for your truck...last mod and it is done...and then surpass it over and over again?!

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Mathster
Veteran

2001&2006 Xterra
Mathster is on a distinguished road
actually...I took the title as you were ticked off at your truck and ready to sell..
For the most part, I have my truck and Xterra set up the way I want them. so yeah, they are done except for maintenance or until something changes that the rides need to to change.
2001&2006 Xterra
#3 Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Jake Whitepaw

2004 Xterra
Jake Whitepaw is on a distinguished road
Guilty!

I've created a budget/forecast for the stuff that I'd like to buy for my vehicle, and when I plan on buying it. So far, that has helped slow the ravages of the mod bug for me, at least a little bit.

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4 (Silver)

Build Thread

[X] Step rail & Mudflap delete
[X] 2" AC BL
[X] PML w/ AC adjustable lift shackles
[X] AC UCAs
[X] Swaybar delete
[X] 33x12.50R15 GY DuraTracs + D-window steelies
[ ] Bilsteins
[ ] Steel front bumper
[ ] Skidplates (HDPE?)
[ ] Sliders
[ ] To be determined...
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I said that a lot with my jetta, but between mods and crap breaking all the time it was a never ending project. I know better than to think I am anywhere near done with my xterra after that. Unlike the jetta I feel comfortable spending money on my truck because I dont have to worry about some god awful expensive sensor breaking tomorrow and keeping me from being able to drive it. If something on it breaks (rarely does) I fix it and dont worry about whether I am going to end up sitting on the side of the road before the end of the day. And after I drive the thing into the ground if I have enough mods on it by that point I will probably replace the engine or tranny and keep on going.

If you cant tell, I hate vw's. its nice having a vehicle that only breaks when things wear out, not because they spontaneously and repeatedly die for no reason.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#5 Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathster View Post
actually...I took the title as you were ticked off at your truck and ready to sell..
For the most part, I have my truck and Xterra set up the way I want them. so yeah, they are done except for maintenance or until something changes that the rides need to to change.
haha I thought about that when I wrote it...but I figured it would make for a more mysterious title so people would read it

Forecasting and budgeting helps some...some

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
Quote:
If you cant tell, I hate vw's. its nice having a vehicle that only breaks when things wear out, not because they spontaneously and repeatedly die for no reason.

HAHAHA...yeah for real. I learned a lot from modding my BMW...similar thing...although not as much random trouble and maintenance...but being in high school at the time and my first venture into the world of mods...I did quite a few things to it without doing all the research...not having the total perspective...and bought a few things that really weren't worth it...and caused more problems down the road. I learned a lot about cars from that project...which I think helped me control the mod bug a little bit on my X...but boy was I naive to think a PML would be the only thing I would want

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#7 Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
birddog01

2001 Xterra
birddog01 is on a distinguished road
You just described the logic behind every vehicle I've ever owned.
Its called Mightaswellitis. There is no cure.

"Crap! I just broke _______.. Might as well upgrade with _______..."

It happens with Houses too!

Ever meet someone that accidentally bought a set of 35s?
They call me Birddog. Master of the Sawzall.

01 XE/SE
5 speed
Currently
PML
35x12.50x15 BFG A/T on Legos
De-Plastified and Blacked out
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog01 View Post
You just described the logic behind every vehicle I've ever owned.
Its called Mightaswellitis. There is no cure.

"Crap! I just broke _______.. Might as well upgrade with _______..."

It happens with Houses too!
Ummm...you nailed it man. HAHA exactly right!

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#9 Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM
midget28
Phreak

2002 Xterra
midget28 will become famous soon enough
I want to disc brake the back, 1 link both ends, v8 swap, one tons, and 39.5 tires.......it never ends it just gets more expensive.

02 Xterra beaten and battered but still going strong. MAKE IT OR BREAK IT. http://www.miobi.org
3/4ton SAS on 37s.
Build thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...ight=midgets+x
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
birddog01

2001 Xterra
birddog01 is on a distinguished road
I really had no plans to mod my X when I bought it. Outside of a key scratch on the driver door she was showroom condition. I had all maintenance records from day one. I washed and polished it every 2 weeks, put plastic down in back for when. I took the dogs for a ride. I was friggin anal about it. I was going to be perfectly happy in stone stock form..
Then that day came when some dingbat blew a red light.
Let the fun begin!
Now, at that time I still had a 98 Ram on 33s and a 79 Cherokee Chief on 35s. Selling those, quitting my job and moving to Iowa is a long story for another time.

Ever meet someone that accidentally bought a set of 35s?
They call me Birddog. Master of the Sawzall.

01 XE/SE
5 speed
Currently
PML
35x12.50x15 BFG A/T on Legos
De-Plastified and Blacked out
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.