Changed heater core hoses...Now Need to get air out! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
Changed heater core hoses...Now Need to get air out!

So I changed out both heater core hoses tonight...pretty easy...tedious though. Used a razor to get the old hoses off the fittings. Problem being that after the lowest end of the low hose popped off, a good bit of coolant was lost from the engine before I managed to get the other end of the hose on.

Seriously...I left a puddle of coolant the size of almost the entire parking space at my apartment complex...ooops.

I let the car idle a bit with the heater mode on, but (of course) the engine begin to overheat.

I know that I need to burp the system....but even after searching I couldn't quite find a clear cut explanation of what to do. I have a gallon of antifreeze 50/50 mix, but I'm not sure how to properly go about getting the air out and refilling the system...I'm pretty sure I found a good thread last night while searching but I can't freaking find it anymore...

The FSM said to use some fancy tool using pressure gages etc...commmmmon gimme some help guys!

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Just loosen the bolt on the top of the intake plenum- it's near where the intake tube attaches- while it idles. As soon as coolant starts coming out you're golden!

Edit: Maybe not with the engine on, not sure. I think you can do it with it off if you pump the upper rad hose. But that screw is your key to happiness.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods

Last edited by xtacular; 01-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
You will probably have to burp the system a few times to get all the air out. After I replaced my radiator it took me about 2 weeks to burp all the air out. Granted I more or less drained the whole system so I had more air in it than you will, but I would suggest checking it every few days until the air stops and then check it again in about a week. you will have at least as much air in the system as the heater core can hold if not more.

And the best time to do it in my opinion is when the car is idling after it has been driven for a while. The coolant will be hot, but the extra pressure in the system from the heat seems to help push the air out of the system easier. Just loosen the bolt up a bit until you hear the air start coming out and then be ready to crank it back down tight as soon as the coolant comes out.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
that the one?

So i drive the car some...let it idle...then loosen that bolt? Radiator cap and expansion tank cap still on while idling? Is it OK to loosen that bolt while the car is warm? Is it pressurized or anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	9378  

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >

Last edited by robcarync; 01-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Looks different than mine... I can grab a picture tomorrow but it looks like Nissan changed the intake design at some point.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
it's a bolt right above a rubber hose going into the intake manifold...I assume it is a coolant hose right below it...it was the only thing that looked like part of the cooling system.

Got the temp stabilized at least now...no hot air blowing though...

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#7 Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
well that bolt was too tight...every wrench i tried just started to round the head...

but after a test drive my truck didn't over heat, and I did have heat blowing...I basically just let it idle and kept pouring coolant in the radiator....

never saw a change in level in the expansion chamber....but I have heat, no over heating of the engine, a funnel, and 1 1/2 gallons of 50/50 mix in my truck so I should be good to just drive and keep an eye on it

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#8 Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
irishprodigy
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
irishprodigy is on a distinguished road
I've always burped the system at the radiator cap when I filled it and never had an issue so far. Thats unusual, but if mine ever does that I will know where to look.

Oh, thread jack but if we dont get the storm it looks like we will I'll have a mod done that also looks familiar

I'm Adam!

04 XTerra - The WARSHIP!
Build Thread

Mods:
[X] PML
[X] 2" BL
[X] 285/75x16 BFG AT KO
[ ] Bedline bedline bedline!!!
[ ] Custom front winch bumper
[ ] Rear tire swing bumper
[ ] Sliders
[ ] Snorkel
[ ] SAS with rear SUA
[X] Get dirty!
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
well all I did was let it idle for a while with the radiator cap off....kept pouring coolant in the top of the radiator. No leaks....no overheating...warm heat. Only thing is the level in the expansion tank didn't move one bit...I figured after the driving that level would adjust? The min and max lines are on the side of the expansion tank...how would I know when it is full? Typically, I would expect to see gargling and bubbles as coolant goes down....air comes up...didn't see that though...not in the expansion tank or in the top of the radiator.

As much as I have worked on cars before...I have always been...very awful at flushing radiators and working all the kinks out of cooling systems...

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#10 Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Air relief screw location

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.