1st Mods for NOOB - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
dave13lawrence is on a distinguished road
1st Mods for NOOB

Being laid-off with time to read this forum has given me the itch to start a new hobby....modifying my 03 X.

My plan is to install a 2" BL and the PML, and I have started this by purchasing the 2x3 pucks from Zone, and the shackles from AC.

I can't spend the $ on new shocks just yet, so is it feasible to install only the 2" body lift until I can afford to get the shocks for the PML? I have 265/75/16 tires (no-name brand) on the stock vehicle as it stands. Will the 2" BL make these tires look tiny?
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
You can run the same shocks after doing the lift but the tolerances will be off so the ride will be really harsh, you'll feel it bouncing a lot more than it should, and if you get too aggressive with it (Blasting down bumpy rocky roads or hitting potholes or speed bumps without slowing) you stand a higher risk of blowing a shock out.

More importantly though, after doing the PML you'll want to have an alignment done. That won't matter much with the BL since it doesn't affect the geometry of the suspension at all.

As far as the tires go, it won't have as aggressive a look to it until it has bigger tires with a deep tread, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the tires will look tiny. Just it will look much better once the whole thing is done.

Hope that helps Good luck!
2005 Xterra
#3 Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
They won't look any worse than they look on there now

You don't have to get new shocks for the PML though FYI

You can install the PML and the body lift with stock shocks

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Another Dumb Question

Idler arm Braces... are there (2) needed on the truck to supplement the PML?
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13lawrence View Post
Idler arm Brace
only one.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXXL View Post
only one.
Thanks
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
The power steering gear is on the driver side frame rail, which connects the center link across to the idler arm on the passenger side.

Total Chaos has the best idler arm brace...it is a bit more expensive at around 50 bucks but definitely a better and cleaner design.

I got mine at polyperformance.com

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
I Agree the idler arm brace from Total chaos was as very good design.
Here is what my X looks like with a PML and BL.

I think you will love the look.

I also agree with the Stock shock comments. They will work but they will in fact make your ride a little bit more harsh/bouncy. But you can get shocks eventually and it is not horrible.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
I have just removed the step rails and the roof rack. I have removed all of the plastics from the roof rack and prepared to strip the existing paint and decals from the rails. As I type, the rails are bubbling up! Preping for back paint.
I forgot how it feels to have such passion for something that I want to do ...... I think I am obsessed and in LOVE!
2003 Xterra
#10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
It has happened to all of us, that is why we are here

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.