Square to Round Lights?? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
scott-bc
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
scott-bc is on a distinguished road
Square to Round Lights??

Has anyone found aftermarket lights that will take a 1st gen square and make them round? I was thinking of taping off a circle in the center of the glass and paint everything else black. You think that would greatly reduce the amount of light? Good or bad idea? Right now they don't put much light out as they are. I know some people completely tint the entire glass.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I did that once in my younger (and much more.....inexperienced) days. I would vote against it. The paint would flake off of the plastic very easily, and it ended up looking like crap after about a month when running at night. Light would leak through all the little nicks and dings. repainting them was a pain, so I gave up at some point and decided to sand it off, but the paint had soaked into the plastic by that point and no amount of sanding was bringing it out. It just ended up looking like I had really really dirty foggy lights in the end. I also ended up having to put 2 sets of fog lights on the car Just to drive around and see, because when they were painted I couldnt see crap at night.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#3 Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
birddog01

2001 Xterra
birddog01 is on a distinguished road
I didn't go round but I did paint angry "brows" on the top of the lights to make it look a bit more childish, er sorry, make it look more "aggressive". Yeah, that's the ticket!
I wouldn't do round because you'd wind up with two 4" circles. With a nose full of rectangles on the v1.0 Xterras the round lights would look out of place.
As far as light output goes, try re-aiming them a bit. That made a big difference on mine.

Ever meet someone that accidentally bought a set of 35s?
They call me Birddog. Master of the Sawzall.

01 XE/SE
5 speed
Currently
PML
35x12.50x15 BFG A/T on Legos
De-Plastified and Blacked out
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-bc View Post
Has anyone found aftermarket lights that will take a 1st gen square and make them round? I was thinking of taping off a circle in the center of the glass and paint everything else black. You think that would greatly reduce the amount of light? Good or bad idea? Right now they don't put much light out as they are. I know some people completely tint the entire glass.
Square lights can be made round by retrofitting a 1.5 front end. Sort of round can be done as well by retrofitting HID projectors into the OEM square housings. I have a set on my truck as do a few others.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
scott-bc
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
scott-bc is on a distinguished road
Thats a great idea, I will have to try that. Right now the lights I have just suck! Even new bulbs. I could also try the new bulbs that put out more light.
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
The square lights look 100X better than the rounds!! I'd be happy with them. If it didnt require a new hood, I'd swap out for the old square lights if I could lol

I do have Silverstar zXe bulbs in my FJ and they are BRIGHT. I would recommend them.

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT

Last edited by iwashmycar; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.