Why UCA(Upper Control Arm)? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
scott-bc
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
scott-bc is on a distinguished road
Why UCA(Upper Control Arm)?

The other day I went to a wheel and alignment shop showed then the PML I have and I asked them what their thoughts werr on adding new calmini UCA's and how they are able to provide a proper front lift. What I was surprised to hear was they though I was crazy and did not recommend it or any lift, only by adjusting the tosion bars. They think that by adding new UCA will not provide addional lift. Are full of sh*t or not? What is the proper way of getting 3-4" of lift on the front? If calmini selld the kit,it should lift it up right? Could someone elighten on on this topic. Thanks
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
adding the uca on their own will do nothing other than give you new uca and ball joints. You have to adjust the torsion bars to raise the front up once you get the uca. The new control arms have a slightly different geometry that allows you to both lift the truck higher than you could with stock ones and still get an alignment after raising the front up.

As for how far your going to get the front, 3 inches is it, and maybe not that much. 3 inches is what they claim, but in reality you can raise it until you have .5 inch bumpstop gap, and that is with the stock bumpstops. Any more than that and your going to throw the front geometry off badly. You wont be able to get an alignment, you are pushing the cv joints beyond what they are designed for and will eventually destroy them.

So they are partially right in that you can only raise it through the torsion bars, but the uca allows you to crank the torsion bars more.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#3 Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
What the UCA's do is allow a proper alignment once lifted due to altered upper ball joint angle. Without them you can lift 3" but you will not be able to properly align the front end.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#4 Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
^^^^^what they said^^^^^^^

also, you will probably have to re index your torsion bars

(how to link in my signature below)

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
02 SE SC 4X4

2002 Xterra
02 SE SC 4X4 is on a distinguished road
If you committ to buying upper control arms, I would encourage you to also getting a front diff. Drop kit and low profile bump stops and stiffer torsion bars. If you're going to do a 3 inch lift, do it right.
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Low profile bump stops are nice for added wheel travel, but they aren't required for the lift.

I haven't seen anyone with a diff drop kit, though it would maintain the stock drive shaft angles...do you know where you can get one? I think most people have just left it in place and let the universal joints take care of the angles.

You really don't need stiffer torsion bars for a 3" lift though. It mainly depends on how badly you beat up your truck. Whether you lift you truck 0 inches, 1.5 inches, or 3 inches, your torsion bars are under the same load. If you are driving off drops or jumps and crashing down on your front suspension a lot...heavy duty torsion bars are nice...but the lift itself isn't need for stiffer torsion bars unless you just want them.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
120K miles on my X, SLR UCA's, 33's, winch and winch bumper, and I've absolutely beat the ever loving s*** out of it on the trails. Still on the factory t-bars, CV's, and no diff. drop.

Am I saying don't bother with new t-bars? No. Just saying that they are not critical to have right from the start. I've planned for a while to get new/stiffer t-bars but my factory ones just keep putting up with the abuse. Once they finally give up the ghost, I'll either replace them or SAS.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#8 Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Ehlectric

2002 Xterra
Ehlectric is on a distinguished road
So I'm confused. Do you need new UCA's then when doing a PML to get a proper alignment? I've been reading about it and now I'm just really confused.

'02 Xterra Supercharged 4WD

My plans:
Paint plastics to black [1/2]
Fog Lights (fixed) [X]
PML or bigger lift [ ]
Air Intake Mod [ ]
Brakes [X]
CB radio [ ]
Breather Tube [ ]
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
To add to what everyone else said- the control arms also provide more room to lift with respect to the bumpstop. If you think about it, with the PML you get pretty close to the upper bumpstop- you couldn't lift another 1.5" without crushing the bumpstops. I'm running at PML height and I had about 1/2" bumpstop gap. I installed control arms and re-indexed to get an additional ~1" of height, and I still have a good 1" bumpstop gap.

Also, on the tbars, I've seen just as many accounts of aftermarket bars breaking as stock ones.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlectric View Post
So I'm confused. Do you need new UCA's then when doing a PML to get a proper alignment? I've been reading about it and now I'm just really confused.
No you do not. Only when you go to a 3" lift do you need the UCA's in order to get a proper alignment.

Some folks, Drake did and I did, installed UCA's when we did our PML's, or shortly after, because we knew we would be moving on to a 3" lift at some point.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.