Gen II Cross contamination settelment - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
CORA Zuki

2006 Xterra
CORA Zuki is on a distinguished road
Gen II Cross contamination settelment

I just got a letter statting that there is a class action settelment with Nissan about the 2005-2010 Pahtfinders, Frontiers, and Xterras leaking tranny oil into the radiator and damaging both engine and tranny. It looks like they will only fix it if it has had this problem and falls into the millage and time requirements.

Mine is a 2006 Xterra with about 50k miles on it and no issues yet.

Has anyone else got this letter?

Has anyone had this issue?

Is it something to realy worry about?

I would like to catch this problem before it causes any major problems. Is something more to watch for other than oil in the radiator?
2006 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
It is a very real issue that is referred to as the Strawberry Milkshake of Death (SMOD). It can be prevented by bypassing the internal trans cooler in the radiator and running an external trans cooler.

The giant SMOD reference thread on TNX. Lots of good info just have to read through it.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM
carpediem50

2006 Xterra
carpediem50 is on a distinguished road
I'm rarely here, but wanted to come in to make sure people are aware of this. I actually got two letters - one sent to where I lived when I bought it, and one sent to my current residence. If you haven't received one, call Nissan ASAP. I ignored it because mine has a manual transmission.

For what its worth, you can file a claim, from what I understood, ONLY if you had repairs done and paid out of your own pocket for it. It looks like the lawsuit is for reimbursement only.
2006 Xterra
#4 Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
2X what RacerXXL said

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#5 Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Malarky3113 is on a distinguished road
Is this an issue with all Gen 2s? My younger sister has a brand new one (2012 or 2013, can't remember). I'd hate to see it get destroyed when an external trans cooler could prevent it.
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
No, it was addressed around 2008 or 9. I think this is why they went to Matic S.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Malarky3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
No, it was addressed around 2008 or 9. I think this is why they went to Matic S.
OK, cool. Thanks.
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
AmazinglyGraceless

2007 S Xterra
AmazinglyGraceless is on a distinguished road
Red face

I got the same letter a couple days ago. I haven't had any symptoms of SMOD yet - knock on wood - on my 07 X and hope and pray I don't. I haven't had a claim yet but went on and filled out and sent the letter back. Never hurts.

It's crap Nissan has "extended" the warranty on the vehicles that are mentioned in the letter with < 100K miles and they'll fix it after a $3500 deductible.

"Sharing Joe Thornton's love of woolly mammoths since 2009." Randy Hahn
2007 S Xterra
#9 Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
To all gen 2's pre 2009 even if you have had 0 issues it's still something you need to address... It's not if it will happen its WHEN it will happen
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
MyGfsX
Noob

2005 Xterra
MyGfsX is on a distinguished road
$6100 from the DAMN DEALERSHIP!!!!!! This is a very serious issue and it's being brought to the attention of 05-10 Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinders... We bought our X in February of last year and by September the truck wouldn't even crank up anymore. This will fill like a small miss or slip at first around 45-50mph and then you will have problems with acceloration(spell?) and this can cause serious accidents if you are in traffic or coming onto on ramps. I had mine done at a shop that wasn't owned by Nissan. This is an issue where the coolant from the radiator will mix with the transmission fluid and you'll have a mess on your hands. Idk if they will help us or just shoot down the lawsuit because as of now Nissan is denying all and any problems or "defects". Good luck with all ya'll who have this problem and try to fight it.
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.