2003 XE- Trans issue - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Malarky3113 is on a distinguished road
2003 XE- Trans issue

A little background- I just purchased this vehicle for CHEAP. I always wanted one, and it fell right into my lap. A friend's gf was looking for a reason to get a new car. From my questioning it seems the trans started to slowly slip until she got to a point where she had it towed home. The issue started and progressed to this point in one day (according to her). There was no abrupt failure or any grinding, metal sounds. Again, this is just what she said, but she had no reason to lie as I paid her exactly what the salvage yard was going to.

So onto my questions. Vehicle is a 2003 XE with about 140k.

1- How strong is this transmission? I haven't found much, or anything, about failure on Google. But I also haven't heard they are bullet proof either. I plan to drain the trans fluid, check the color (I don't believe it has been serviced recently, or ever), and fill it back up. Crossing my fingers that this will allow me to at least drive it home.

2- If the trans is dead, does anyone have a link to a write-up on how to swap a new one in? Can it be done in a driveway with a little beer for my friends?

3- The A/C is dead. The blower still works, but apparently doesn't blow cold air. Is this a common issue with these? Or should I check the system then attempt to recharge it? I'm personally a windows down guy, but in the event I sell it on, I'd like to say it works.

4- Is there anything I should check that I haven't listed?

Once I get it running right, I plan to SeaFoam it. Found the write-up on here and it looks like worthwhile thing to try. If it works, my 97 Integra will get one too.

I want to thank anyone who helps me in advance. I already have learned a lot about these vehicles from this site.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
Hi Malarky,
The trans is built pretty tough, but many people never service them and the ATF does break down, which causes a slow trans death.
The oil may not look burned, but that does not mean it still works in the torque converter and the clutches.
Also the filter can become clogged with debres (clutch particals and metal), so changing the oil and replacing the filter can be a good cheap try.
If you do have to replace the trans, make sure you also replace the torque converter, as it may be what is keeping it from moving.
Replacement is fairly easy and straight forward.

The AC on these trucks are pretty robust, but the two large intake and output hoses get hard and leak down. The thing to do, is replace them and the dryer tank, then rechage.
ps. You may be able to spot the bad hose by the green dye which leaked out. One thing to remember though, if one is dead, the other is right behind it. It is important to replace the dryer tank (which is pretty cheap).

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#3 Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Further on the AC: Go to a parts store and rent a set of gauges and see what it's actually doing. If they read 0, then you got a leak. Get some refergerant with a dye in it, and put enough in to get the system flowing, then check for leaks with a UV light. A cheap black light can work, but will be a bit harder to see. If it has pressure, then have a buddy turn on the front defogger while you look at the compressor. You should see the pulley actually pull into the belt and the middle start to spin (middle will be stationary when not engaged). If it's not doing that, then the compressor is toast and will need to be replaced.

You're at 140K, has the timing belt been done? It's due at 105 and can destroy the engine if it fails. Beyond that, grab the FSM, get up to date on the maintenance and be prepared for another 10 years of joy with this truck.
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Guess I never put it anywhere, it is an automatic. I'm hoping some new fluid can do the trick. It would be a really nice start to the new year to have a running X for less than $1k.
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
Further on the AC: Go to a parts store and rent a set of gauges and see what it's actually doing. If they read 0, then you got a leak. Get some refergerant with a dye in it, and put enough in to get the system flowing, then check for leaks with a UV light. A cheap black light can work, but will be a bit harder to see. If it has pressure, then have a buddy turn on the front defogger while you look at the compressor. You should see the pulley actually pull into the belt and the middle start to spin (middle will be stationary when not engaged). If it's not doing that, then the compressor is toast and will need to be replaced.

You're at 140K, has the timing belt been done? It's due at 105 and can destroy the engine if it fails. Beyond that, grab the FSM, get up to date on the maintenance and be prepared for another 10 years of joy with this truck.
The AC is on the back burner for now. No sense in fixing it if the truck doesn't move right? I did want to check the timing belt. I'm not sure if it ever got changed. I looked at the write-up on here and it looks pretty easy to switch out. Might just do it for the piece of mind.
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarky3113 View Post
The AC is on the back burner for now. No sense in fixing it if the truck doesn't move right? I did want to check the timing belt. I'm not sure if it ever got changed. I looked at the write-up on here and it looks pretty easy to switch out. Might just do it for the piece of mind.
I wouldnt call a timing belt an easy job...but it can be done by a mechanically inclined individual with the right tools.

In regards to the trans. I would pull it and take it to a transmission shop for a rebuild. THey will be able to clean out the solenoids and put new clutch packs on it. Might run you between 400 and 900 but your trans will be brand new if they overhaul it.
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsXE View Post
I wouldnt call a timing belt an easy job...but it can be done by a mechanically inclined individual with the right tools.

In regards to the trans. I would pull it and take it to a transmission shop for a rebuild. THey will be able to clean out the solenoids and put new clutch packs on it. Might run you between 400 and 900 but your trans will be brand new if they overhaul it.
Honestly, I bought the truck because it was dirt cheap and I figured I could fix it and sell it for a lot more. Hell, I could probably sell it for more than I paid in it's current condition.

But in the few days I've had it, it's growing on me. If I wind up keeping it, I'll definitely keep a rebuild in mind.

Last edited by Malarky3113; 01-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM
ayjay
Veteran

2000 Xterra
ayjay is on a distinguished road
Yeah, check the A/C compressor and do a leak test. It is very likely your leak is in the high pressure hose between the compressor and the condenser, thouhg the low pressure side into the compressor can also leak. Right at the crimps is where the leaks will be. If your compressor clutch still engages and it works if re-filled, then it is easy to remove the hoses, worm them out, and reverse the process with new hoses from the dealer. replacing the compressor is a bigger pain, but I did mine a few months ago and it has worked fine ever since. You also replace the dryer and maybe the condenser if the compressor blew up inside, but at minimum you flush the condenser and replace te dryer.

2000 XE V6 4X4 5speed, AC shackles and UCAs, Bilstein 4600, K&N drop-in, intake mod, AC Idler brace, Yakima kayak rack, Shrockworks Skids, custom sliders, BFG AT/KO 32x11.5x15, custom rear bumper/swingout tire carrier, custom front tube bumper, Lokka'd front Diff.

5 speed
4 WD
3 Pedals
2 Diffs
1 Tcase ... The way it was meant to be.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Malarky3113

2003 Xterra
Haven't worked on it since I originally posted, but I have been researching a lot. Will any Gen 1 trans work? There is a guy parting out a 2000 on CL.
2003 Xterra
#10 Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
The 00 X trans will fit your 03.
Make sure to get the torque converter too.

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.