maf sensor - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
hankwood
Noob

hankwood is on a distinguished road
maf sensor

2000 xterra 3.3 runs and idles rough, the distributor has been changed and it ran fine for six months. I have kept up with all maintenance so far and about a month ago the X started to sputter and idle rough once the motor was warmed up. I have replaced the fuel sending unit and the fuel filter. After reading everything I can find that could be the problem I cleaned the Maf sensor and It did not help. I just disconnected the Maf and the rough idle went away but at 2500 rmps the engine would sputter so I think I found the problem. The X has 125,000 miles. I replaced the dist. due to the bearing being shot. What do you think should I just replace it and where is the best place to get one. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

The intake runner from the air box to the intake plenum can get a crack on the underside...which leaks air under some conditions and not others due to flex and vibration....check it for leaks/see if its pressure tight.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#3 Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
hankwood
Noob

The rubber boot is tight and has no cracks?
#4 Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
Have you checked all the things that attach to the intake hose and if they are also tight? Any leaking in the air intake system after the maf, will cause rough idle.

You may also have sticky/dirty/messed up injector.
Any codes?

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#5 Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM
hankwood
Noob

Should have explained a little better, the rough idle would eventually drop and kill the engine. While driving and the engine would get to operating temp the engine would stall and die at any rpm. I took the MAF back out and cleaned it and noticed the tiny wire between the two posts is loose? The rough idle is still gone with the maf disconnected.
#6 Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
thats a sure fire shot, its the maf sensor especially since you said the wire is loose and when you unplug it rough idle stops.

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
#7 Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
hankwood
Noob

MAF sensor replaced and codes po100 and po325 cleared. The x ran fine today in the city and on the highway. Thanks for the help....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.