Xterra pulls to the left during braking again ?!!?!? - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
black

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
black is on a distinguished road
Xterra pulls to the left during braking again ?!!?!?

little history 3 weeks ago had it(2003 xterra 175K aligned ( it was pretty bad off especially the drivers side supposedly)
last week noticed that driver rim was very warm after driving home and smelled alot of ozone.
Put it up on jacks and replaced the caliper slide pins only on the driver side( they were pretty well seized and took a lot of effort to get off) The brake pads looks normal at the time

3 days of driving and it no longer pulled to the left and drove well

Drove in this morning and it started to pull to the left under braking again( light ,moderate, heavy braking)

No idea what to do now other than reinspect the driver side again. maybe do the passenger side and replace their slide pin as well ( though if it pulls to the left under braking that tells me that the left( driver) wheel is braking harder than normal)
I may replace all the brake pads but any advice is appreciated

Thank you
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
No idea what to do now other than reinspect the driver side again. maybe do the passenger side and replace their slide pin as well ( though if it pulls to the left under braking that tells me that the left( driver) wheel is braking harder than normal)
I may replace all the brake pads but any advice is appreciated

Thank you
I'd inspect both front brakes and see if either the driver's side is binding again, or if the passenger side is not braking as well as it should for some reason (could be seized open, although this is less likely). Also see if the pads are worn unevenly side-to-side. I'm not saying this is the problem, but after having a dragging brake, it's worth a look.

Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
2005 Xterra
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
If it is pulling to the left, it could be that the right brake is not working correctly. It may have a seized piston, or as small as air in the line.
It would be a good idea to flush the brake fluid with new brake fluid, as the old has most likely been in there a long time and has absorbed a bunch of water, which expands on braking and does not allow equal force from both sides, there by causing a pull.

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
dawgn86 is on a distinguished road
I changed the brake pads on my 02 Xterra today and always try to inspect the slide pins. 3 out of the 4 were good, but the top on on the passenger side was stuck in. I could turn it with a wrench, but it wouldnt come out. The new pads went back on well and the braking seems fine after driving it several miles.

Do I need to worry about the slide pin?..any trick to getting one unstuck?

Thanks
2002 Xterra
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
black

2003 Xterra
black is on a distinguished road
so an update to my issue was that there was no issue on my left... turns out when i looked under it was my right caliper. The pistons were not retracting/ negaging so inessence i was braking with my left only thus swerving to the left.

Dawgn86: If it was me I'd get the slide pin unstuck. People have told me of major issue issues a stuck slide pin could cause.
To get it off was using pb blaster let it sit for 20 min.. try to take it off.. pb blaster... etc repeat and till it came off and also banging it with a hammer and chisel
2003 Xterra
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
Thanks Black

lay awake last night thinking about that stupid pin..just my luck I would have one stuck.

Im going to take off the bracket at lunch today and see if I can get it unstuck.
2002 Xterra
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
Well, took the bracket off and finally got the caliper slide pin unstuck. Cleaned them both up really good, lubed them back up and put them back on....both pins seemed to be working ok..I guess its hard to tell..seems to ride like normal
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.