Considering a 2005 X S - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Considering a 2005 X S

Hello all!

I currently drive a lifted Jeep Liberty (hold your comments, please) that I was planning on replacing in the next 2-3 years. Along comes the deal below:

A friend of mine is selling his "solar yellow" 2005 XTerra S (4x4) with 58,000 miles on the clock. He is asking $11,500 for it- private party blue book is about $12,000.

I have a wife, two kids, and two dogs, so the slightly bigger interior of the XTerra could be a plus. I like the look and color of my friend's Xterra, and it already has most of the equipment installed that I'd want anyhow since we share similar interests in off roading and camping. (Tires, tow hitch, trailer brake control, roof rack, brush guard, CB radio) He takes care of his vehicles, and he's an honest broker so I'm not concerned about him sticking me with a lemon. I just want to make sure this is a price worth jumping on, and learn more about common issues with the X that I might have to deal with at or near the 60,000 mark. I will be test driving his Xterra next week before I make a final decision. Are there specific things I should look at on the vehicle before buying? Is this a deal worth having?

Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
That's a decent deal - especially if you like all the stuff he's done to it already.

Do check out the transmission and trans fluid - do a search on SMOD ("Strawberry Milkshake of Death") on the forums to know what to look for and what can be done to prevent it.

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#3 Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
Thanks for your response! God, that SMOD sounds horrible.

There is no Nissan dealership in my town, so hopefully it's already been fixed/modded to prevent the "SMOD" or I will need to mod it myself if I buy the truck. Can you confirm this is just a hose swap to "close the loop" in the radiator? It sounds simple enough to not be a deal-breaker.

Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
It is pretty simple. Most people jut buy an aftermarket transmission cooler from advanced or autozone and stick it in there.
Sounds like a good purchase especially if you trust him and You like the stuff he has done to it. saves you time and money/hassle.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
Sounds good- I think I'm going to take the deal unless something comes up on the test drive tomorrow.
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
She's mine! I found a couple of minor issues that he's taking care of, and he came down to $10,500.

Issues were the rear pass. door not opening, and the trailer hitch wiring plug needs to be replaced. Since he's taking care of those, I am very happy with this deal and the price.
2005 Xterra
#7 Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
congrats on your purchase. maybe you can offset the purchase a bit by selling the "Heep"
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
sevenhelmet

2005 Xterra
That's the plan

Pics and avatar to follow when I take delivery of the X in the next day or two.

Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.