SES Light coolant related? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM
btblue
Noob

2002 SC SE Xterra
btblue is on a distinguished road
SES Light coolant related?

I have a 2002 Xterra SE SC with 90,000 miles on it with no past history of problems. Last night in the middle of a 30 minute drive, the SES light came on solid. Checked gas cap, wiring, air hoses, but found nothing. The only thing out of the ordinary was the coolant tank was empty. I have noticed a little drip here and there over the past few months, but nothing major. I plan a timing kit replacement in the spring, so figured it could wait till then. The big question is whether low coolant will cause the light, and if so, will it go out on its own since I have refilled the tank? The X runs fine...for now!
2002 SC SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
got access to a code reader? maybe one at an auto parts store. once you get the codes someone can help a bit more. I don't know a whole lot- learning as I go. But I doubt an empty coolant reservoir [I assume you mean the overflow tank] would trigger a code. But I'd watch the coolant level. IF it's going down quickly or you've got WHITE smoke out the tailpipe that's a whole other bowl of wax- possible head gasket. Some first ideas to think about, hope it helps a bit
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
The only code that it could throw is an over-temp code, but more than likely, you would have noticed it overheating.

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#4 Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM
btblue
Noob

2002 SC SE Xterra
I went to have codes read at Autozone last night. First one was P0328 knock sensor (KS) circuit high input, and the second one was P1491 vacuum cut valve bypass valve. I should mention that my dad and i replaced the plugs a month ago with some degree of dificulty. The SES light just came on a few days ago, so I can't imagine that has anything to do with the current situation. The truck still starts and runs just fine. Thanks again for any help.
2002 SC SE Xterra
#5 Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
important one is the vacuum one. the knock sensor seems to be common and not much problem [usually safe to ignore in non supercharged truck]. look in form "repair questions". there's two sticky there- one on the knock sensor and the other a link to the factory manuals. look up the section on engine control. there's a list of codes and how to figure out what's up and how to fix it. good place to start
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road
Here it is, I had to replace mine last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_2876.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	9265  

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
#7 Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
btblue
Noob

2002 SC SE Xterra
All is well!

I bought some Lucus Oil octane booster and filled up with premium fuel since I had been using 87 for some time. After about a week, the light went out, so I have no idea why the vacuum error code cleared itself. Now I just hope it doesn't come back for a long, long, time.
2002 SC SE Xterra
#8 Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road
It will, mine went on and off for sometime before it stayed on, and that’s when I had to replace it...

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.