4bt Cummins? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Xpressor
Noob

2000 Xterra
Xpressor is on a distinguished road
4bt Cummins?

I just bought a 4 bt Cummins and have my X engine out. Ready to start trying to install. Have any of you done this? It's a 5 speed. My plan is to put on a dodge flywheel and starter then mount the Nissan clutch on it and adapt it to the nissan tranny. Most on the 4bt sites say the nissan can't stand up to it. The diesel weighs 750 pounds , I don't know how much the v6 weighs but I feel like I can beef up springs and shocks for that. The front diff is in the way of everything( including the Nissan engine as I'm sure you all know) so I guess I will lift the frame a bit . The diesel is all mechanical but I will still need to figure out how to put power back to the cockpit and everything else that needs it. I considered putting on the X flywheel but am afraid the nissan starter wouldn't crank it. Any advice from your guys experience will help. Thanks
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
It's been looked at before and everyone who looked into it pretty much decided the easiest way to do it would be to SAS the truck first.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
You'll HAVE to SAS first and then get springs that can handle the weight.

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#4 Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Xpressor
Noob

2000 Xterra
Sorry I don't know what SAS is.
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressor View Post
Sorry I don't know what SAS is.
SAS=Solid Axle Swap

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#6 Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Look up the name RoninJiro. He has done a Diesel swap and is selling the truck for 14K.

@Intender Yeah It is only stock but none the less I believe that it is a step forward for Xpressor. RoninJiro may be able to help because from my understanding Jiro went through alot of headaches just putting that puppy in.

SAS the truck first then try to do the swap. You are correct that the frame will not hold it.

As far as I know the Nissan Gear Reduction starter is pretty powerful but Am unsure as to whether it is powerful enough to turn it. Only thing I can say is measure its rotational speed and figure out how it is compared to the other starter. Outside of the vehicle.

Like I said though check out roninjiro. He will be your biggest asset if he will lend his thoughts.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 12-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
ronins diesel is a factory one from the south american x. The 4bt is a much larger and heavier engine. It is also taller from what I have read. I dont think the issue with the weight is so much the frame as it is the ifs. The vg33e weighs around 300 pounds without the transmission and electronics. the 4bt is in excess of 700lbs. A steel bumper on the front of an x will make the front suspension drop a noticeable amount and they tend to weigh less than 200lbs, so you can imagine what another 200-300 pounds of engine on top of that would do to ifs.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#8 Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Xpressor
Noob

2000 Xterra
Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I love these vehicles . The idea of having a cummins powered one is cool. I just need to decide whether to go on with it or find a different heavier platform. My Xterras always seemed pretty truck like to me.I feel like a few hundred pounds anywhere in it could be compensated for by stronger suspension. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I have just been driving them and not trying to modify before.

- Who thinks the 4bt will kill the tranny? I would hope the driveline would be the weak link by far.

-I was just thinking I would put a cool hood scoop on that says cummins and let 'er stick out the hood unless it will obstruct view too much.

-I am hoping to accomplish getting a nice sized 4wd suv , with much improved fuel economy and an engine that is all mechanical .

Last edited by Xpressor; 12-24-2012 at 08:15 AM.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Xpressor. Anything is possible bro. Dream big and Live good. I say go for it and I would love to see it as it is being built and after you build it.

Nobody knows until you do it. We put a man on the moon so I think you can put a big engine in an Xterra. The question though is
#1 How much money is it going to take and how long/difficult is it going to be.

The answers are.

Very Expensive and Very long with a large number of beers.

If your cool with that do some research and we will try to aid you the best we can. I right now am putting together a 4WD conversion and I hope to have it set up by this spring.

Your first bet in starting this project Xpressor is to Search and research doing a Solid Axle swap. If the SAS is something you feel you can handle then do some more heavy research on putting the engine in.

ALot of people on this forum have beefed up the frame and suspension.

I think IMHO the Xterra tranny stock cannot handle the 4bt. An Allison tranny is the best way to go.

I can GUARANTEE you will need to beef the frame and suspension up ALOT. Nissan Designed it to support what it supports now. Maybe 300-400 Pounds. Putting something in with twice as much weight will stress just about everything. Always remember. When you change anything on a vehicle your re-engineering and you have to be ready for stuff to change and/or break.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 12-24-2012 at 01:22 PM.
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Xpressor
Noob

2000 Xterra
I really appreciate all the info. Sounds like I will need to make the X into a bigger truck by replacing a bunch of it's original stuff with other brand stuff. Now I'll have to evaluate if I want to do that much modification.
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.