NC Light Law question - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Tay-Lo

2004 Xterra
Tay-Lo is on a distinguished road
NC Light Law question

I'm going to be head to NC for Christmas and might take the X. I seem to remember something about offroad lights in NC.

I have 2 KC's on the brush guard and have rock guards on them. In NC do you have to have covers on them, such as the smiley face covers that come with them or can I just leave the rock guards on?
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM
AppStateGrad
Noob

2011 Xterra
AppStateGrad is on a distinguished road
I live in NC and run my stock off road lights uncovered, and I've never had a problem with the police. Not sure about the letter of the law though.
2011 Xterra
#3 Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
A lot of states, including here in Alabama, state that auxiliary lights must be covered when in city limits (or something to that affect). There are a few other stipulations as well that seem to be common in other states as well but I have been running mine uncovered and never had the first word mentioned to me. Just don't flip them on in these areas, then that may draw some unwanted attention.

Best place to look and find out for sure would be the state DMV website. There should be a full listing of vehicle requirements.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#4 Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Tay-Lo

2004 Xterra
I wasn't able to find anything about covering lights but it seems they do limit it to 2 auxiliary front mounted lights.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_20.html

With that said I think I'll throw the covers in the back just in case I get pulled for it.
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Smart thinking. Never hurts to have a back up. I've heard from a couple of LEO friends that the light laws and some other vehicle restrictions such as wheels sticking out past fenders/mud guards, lift kits, etc. are just not their focus even during a traffic stop. Not to make them sound lazy in any way, they focus more on the endangering offenses like speeding, wreckless driving, properly functioning brake lights, etc. than nit-picky vehicle modification restrictions. A: Too much extra paperwork for a minimal infraction and B: Added time for a vehicle inspection to prove their suspicions. It's not like your license and registration says you have a body lift.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#6 Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Iirc in pa at least if they are under headlight level you're fine. If they're above they have to be covered when on the road (although I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for having them uncovered... Just the morons that drive with them on)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I dont have any extra lights on my truck but lots of people around here run with 4 or more lights on their truck uncovered and I have never seen or heard of them getting in trouble unless they were running on the road with them on.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#8 Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
caseycamby
Phreak

2001 Xterra
caseycamby will become famous soon enough
I have two uncovered lights right to the side of my headlights that I run at night/dusk/rain etc.. But, I have them angled right in line with my low beams so it's not blinding. I've ran them this way for a good while now and haven't heard the first word about it. Like said above, it's better to be safe than sorry.. You never know when you're gonna run into that dick cop who's gonna give you some flak about it..

2001 Xterra 4x4

Lift/Tires - 3" AC AAL SL, Revolver Shackles, 2" AC BL, 33x12.5 Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler wheels

Exterior - RLC Fab bumper, custom Baja light bar, Rage roof rack, White Knuckle rock sliders, Skid Row skids, Warn hubs, Cherry Bomb Extreme dual exhaust

Interior - Pioneer DEH-3200UB deck, Sony Xplod door speakers, 2 12" Kicker Comps in Kicker box, 350W Bolt amp, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, LED dome light conversion

"My Official Build Thread"
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Tay-Lo

2004 Xterra
Everything went well as far as the lights are concerned....but....I did get a lot of new onlookers.

It's always nice to take the X to a new town because you get a lot of new people checking out your ride. I pulled up to one light just as it turned red for me and there was a guy in his stock X pulling a trailer taking a right turn at the intersection that was gawking. I thought he was about to take the trailer into the power pole because he was looking at me more than he was the road
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
caseycamby
Phreak

2001 Xterra
caseycamby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay-Lo View Post
Everything went well as far as the lights are concerned....but....I did get a lot of new onlookers.

It's always nice to take the X to a new town because you get a lot of new people checking out your ride. I pulled up to one light just as it turned red for me and there was a guy in his stock X pulling a trailer taking a right turn at the intersection that was gawking. I thought he was about to take the trailer into the power pole because he was looking at me more than he was the road
It's a great feeling, right?! haha

2001 Xterra 4x4

Lift/Tires - 3" AC AAL SL, Revolver Shackles, 2" AC BL, 33x12.5 Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler wheels

Exterior - RLC Fab bumper, custom Baja light bar, Rage roof rack, White Knuckle rock sliders, Skid Row skids, Warn hubs, Cherry Bomb Extreme dual exhaust

Interior - Pioneer DEH-3200UB deck, Sony Xplod door speakers, 2 12" Kicker Comps in Kicker box, 350W Bolt amp, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, LED dome light conversion

"My Official Build Thread"
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.