Heater core inlet outlet? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM
zodiac91

2002 Xterra
zodiac91 is on a distinguished road
Heater core inlet outlet?

Can some one please tell me which tube on the heater core is the inlet and which one is the outlet my previous mechanic connectedthe2 line together .
I saw thee thread about how to fix the broken tube on the heater core and I'm going to try fix it so can finally get heat
Thanks for the input
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM
zodiac91

2002 Xterra
Picture q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	9209  
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I couldnt tell you which one is which, but it shouldnt matter. if you are using the factory hoses the hoses should reach the barbs better for the correct ones length wise. A heater core is basically just a small radiator with a fan that blows across it to heat you car. as long as coolant in moving through it, it will work.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
SnickerDoodle
Addict

2002 SE/XE Xterra
SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough
I don't know which one is in or out. But I can tell you that you most likely will not find replacement parts go replace the broken hose. Trust me.. I looked.

But maybe this thread will help. http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34831
2002 SE/XE Xterra
#5 Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 AM
chef mike
Noob

2000 Xterra
chef mike is on a distinguished road
heater core tube repair

i have a 2000 model and just replaced the valvecover gaskets and intake plenum gasket. I had to cut the 2 water hoses in the back to remove them.
during reinstalling I broke off the top heater core hose attanchment on the firewall. In reading the posts..i do not want to have to do the heater core replacement. Has any one got the hose deminsions, so I can find some kind of repair fot this? my thoughts were inserting an male adapter with sealent, then reattach the hose..

Any thoughts..This is my first post..please help.Chef mike
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
zodiac91

2002 Xterra
I went to Home Depot and bought a 1/4 in x2 in brass pipe fitting. What I'm planning to do is grind the threads on on end so it can fit snugly into the heater core and then seal it with a putty, which I picked up at advance auto parts for like 5 bucks. Once this putty hardens it creates a water tight seal around anything you apply it to, hope this helps
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM
SnickerDoodle
Addict

2002 SE/XE Xterra
SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough
Plastic and metal have different coefficients of thermal expansion. It may create a problem between the metal and the plastic. It may make a water tight seal but the fact that the two materials expand at different rates it may cause the putty to crack if the putty isn't flexible enough. Just my two cents though.
2002 SE/XE Xterra
#8 Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
DaddyMO

2000 Xterra
DaddyMO is on a distinguished road
Been running w/ my HC bypassed for a month now w/ $ pretty tight. Its winter so I decided to rig something up and picked up some 1/2" OD copper and shoved it into the upper inlet. Then I used that GOOP stuff. I use this crap on anything broken and its good when cured! Problem is I just read that the cured temp rating is maxed at 150 degrees so now im screwed!!! Im not even going to try and install the hose over this because if it fails, im going to have coolant spewing inside the cab. I think tomorrow ill remove it and clean it as best I can and re-do the fix with epoxy or replace the copper with PVC and use that PVC cement.

@Snickerdoodle... nice DIY on the HC replacement. It shows what to deal with if I tackle removing the dash.

Also here is the link to an exploded view of the dash. Starts on page 20...
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/xterra/2000/bt.pdf
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
KBCL
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
KBCL is on a distinguished road
I busted some of the plastic off the ends of one of the lines when I disconnected them to do my BL. I ended up just cleaning the plastic and the inside of the line really well and ran some RTV around the plastic tube and shoved the line back on and clamped it up. It's been like this for about 6 months now and no problems. I did have to remove the rubber grommet to be able to fit the line and clamp onto the plastic further though.
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
The tip to getting those hoses off without busting the core is to use a razor blade and cut the Hose and split it off.

Although its too late here maybe this advice can be spread.

Are you sure there is not enough Heatercore nipple left to shove a hose on it? Mine broke when I did a BL and I was able to barely get a hose on it with a VERY tight clamp . Have not head troubles with it yet.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.