Just did body lift...now leaking oil?! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Just did body lift...now leaking oil?!

just did an oil change about 6 weeks ago (took it to mobile station, mobile 1 sythetic) and had no problems...just did the body lift 3 days ago and now it looks like I have oil leaking somewhere... anything in the body lift could have caused this? Or is this more of an unfortunate coincidence? I notice the wet oil on the underside of a cross member:

Any ideas as to the source? Obviously....look up and try to see but its dark and figured I'd put a post out to see if anyone knows of any common oil leaks. The cross member is kinda around the back of the LCA area, you can see the torsion bar in the first pic on the left side of the pic...passenger side for reference

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	9197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	995.9 KB
ID:	9198  

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >

Last edited by robcarync; 12-04-2012 at 07:21 PM.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
muddy

2002 Xterra
muddy is on a distinguished road
is it oil or coolant? the things I can think of are either rear main seal or really badly leaking valve cover gaskets...
or when you lifted it you broke the heater core connection which i hear is common thing to break.
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
I wiped it with a white paper towel it was black and gritty....so I am pretty sure it is oil...but the other things from a Body Lift I could think of would be coolant like you said or power steering fluid...I crawled around and couldn't tell where it was coming from but as you can see in the pic seems to be leaving a fairly sizable spot on the ground...the spot is actually forming in two puddles...almost a symmetrical shape...one on passenger side one on driver side. Heater core hoses looked good...car has not overheated at all so I am thinking coolant is in good shape. Power steering I know I am low on but I couldn't tell how PS fluid could get by that cross member

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Hmm check the lines for the tranny cooler coming out the bottom of the rad, do all your fluid levels check out fine?
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
well my PS fluid is always low....my engine oil is all the way full on the dip stick. Not sure where to check any other fluids, but my car hasn't overheated one bit so I assume it isn't coolant. All hoses looked good coming from radiator and heater core but Im not sure exactly which ones are the tranny cooler lines, I will check tomorow

PS I do know for a fact my power steering resevoir is leaking, it always has been. Inside the passenger front wheel well, the bottom of the PS hose is covered in oily stuff...but its not in the same area as that cross member...

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#6 Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
The tranny cooler lines are the small maybe 1/2" round lines going into the bottom resivoir of the radiator, the transmission dipstick is near the firewall on the passenger side
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
I'd take it to the car wash and clean it all real well and watch it again, I have seen these sometimes burp up oil out the overflow if there filled to much, the overflow videos at the rear
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
Ok, UPDATE...I watched my car parking carefully and parked in different spots etc to see if it continues to do it...there is only a few small spots leaking to the ground...BUT i also caught a glimpse of it leaking after I had been driving it, and the drips coming off the cross member had a greenish tint...sounds like coolant. Heater core hoses are kind of in that area...any other coolant related leaks that could be from a body lift? My truck hasn't overheated at all, so it must be a somewhat slow leak. It is leaking and leaving puddles on both passenger and driver side though...is there anything on the driver side that could be leaking....or perhaps the leak is hitting the cross member, running down the edges and dripping on the other side.

Also, anyone know what color power steering fluid is? Like i said, I know my PS gear has been leaking very slowly, and my reservoir is nearly empty....but its not greenish is it? The hose that runs down from the PS reservoir is covered in grimey nastiness so I will probably replace that hose (with one 2 inches longer ) and get it cleaned up and re filled while I am at it.

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#9 Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
emmdock
Addict

2002 Xterra
emmdock is on a distinguished road
I use ATF in my power steering system; it's red. If it's old, it could be blackish. I suppose someone could have put regular gear oil in there before, too, like what you put in a diff or manual transmission, looks like engine oil but turns black if dirty.
The body lift will stretch the hoses from the body-mounted PS reservoir to the frame-mounted tubes. Pull the passenger front tire and the fender liner and you will have a good look at it.
A few coolant lines get stretched. The heater core hoses going through the firewall (passenger side) - unclipping them might be sufficient to get them to route more freely. The radiator is body mounted, the engine is frame mounted, so the two large hoses between them get shifted, too. Check both ends of both of those.

On the driver's side, you have A/C lines. Sometimes, the cans you get to refill your a/c have green UV dye in the R134 to help trace leaks.

2002 Xterra XE 3.3 4x4 auto | JL 500/1v2 + 10W7 | Viper 5901 remote starter | Rear sway bar delete | Bilsteins all around | IAB | 2" DIY BL | KC HiLiTES on homemade roof bar | AC Shackles/PML | 33x12.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar on Cragar Soft 8s | Skid Row skids | Yakima Loadwarrior | Beginning of a build thread

2002 Xterra
#10 Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Also if you didnt loosen up your brake lines running down the passenger side of the vehicle they can bend and break. Not the most likely thing to happen from a body lift but I have read about it being a problem. But if you had a broken brake line you would know it by now.

Only thing I had trouble with after the body lift was my upper radiator hose was stretched and caused the connector on the radiator to snap off. I was about 10 miles from the house and tooless at the time so it was fun trying to fix it enough to get home.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.