Just bought the X for my daughter all seemed fine... - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
retcav1sg
Noob

2001 Xterra
retcav1sg is on a distinguished road
Just bought the X for my daughter all seemed fine...

now not so much. Here's the history...2001 Xterra XE 2wd 3.3l 207,000 miles. Decent repair history, oil changes done, timing belt done among other things. I've had it for a week, it ran great getting it home (75mph on interstate). It's been at the house while I stripped it and repainted all the faded trim and various body pieces. It looks almost new. It started fine the few times I had to move around the driveway. Today I changed the oil (only put in 3.5 qts) added some brake and power steering fluids and changed the air filter. Let may daughter take it for a test drive and all seemed fine. I then took it for a drive and things went bad quickly. It started feeling like it wanted to bog down, acceleration was horrible and I barely got it home. Idle was very rough and it would shut down if I didn't give it some gas. Very weird, the only thing I can think of is changing the air filter caused some sort of vacuum leak or who knows what. BTW, no check engine light. Now it won't stay running when I start it. Runs very rough and shuts off, If I give it gas it just runs rough at a higher RPM. Feels like its not getting what it needs in the way of air or fuel or something. It's strange that this happened right after I did some lite maint. Sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much info as possible.

Any thoughts much appreciated
Mike
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
muddy

2002 Xterra
muddy is on a distinguished road
inspect the rubber hose between the airbox and the throttle body. Did you break it or is it not on all the way? This would cause bogging or it too shut off. also see if you're loosing spark could be the distributor
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Steeze
2009 Xterra of the year

2005 Xterra
Steeze has a spectacular aura about them Steeze has a spectacular aura about them
Definitely look at the Fuel Sending Unit (FSU)

You can access it through the back seat passenger side. Lift up the seat and remove the panel, that'll expose the FSU. They go bad quite often... good news is it's an easy fix and the part is fairly cheap.

Also look at your air intake setup... there's a way to "get the most out of your stock intake". If you do a little search you should be able to find the thread titled exactly what I just put in quotations. That should answer some questions and help clear things up on the air side.

Your problem is most likely air or fuel.... my guess is the FSU.

An easy way to check is to spray some MAF cleaner directly into the intake tube while you try and start it... that will eliminate spark being the issue.

Last edited by Steeze; 12-04-2012 at 06:42 PM.
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
birddog01

2001 Xterra
birddog01 is on a distinguished road
I'll echo the fuel issue.
My pump died a few months ago. Before it went I started getting similar symptoms. Swapped the pump out and only had one issue since(my fault for being a bit heavy handed during the swap).
If the initial Test Drive went well and downhill from there I'd look at fuel and air.

Ever meet someone that accidentally bought a set of 35s?
They call me Birddog. Master of the Sawzall.

01 XE/SE
5 speed
Currently
PML
35x12.50x15 BFG A/T on Legos
De-Plastified and Blacked out
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
#6 Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 AM
retcav1sg
Noob

2001 Xterra
The rattling in the video was present...I thought it was a loose cat heat shield. Appears it might be the distributor.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
phrog man
Chrome can go to hell

2004 Xterra
phrog man will become famous soon enough
Yeah I wouldn't rule out the distributor either

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2004 BLACK X-AUTO
Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM
qu1cks1lver56
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
qu1cks1lver56 is on a distinguished road
Mine did what you described, it was the distributor. $300 fix.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM
retcav1sg
Noob

2001 Xterra
Update...put new MAF in today and it started and ran fine for about five minutes, once it got warm and I had to give it gas same symptoms returned. I should have tried to start it before I put the new MAF in but...oh well.
Looks like it may be the distributor or maybe fuel related, a friend is coming over tomorrow to hook up diagnostics to see what codes may be stored, hope there is something there to get us started.

Thoughts?
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM
coniferhuman

2001 Xterra
coniferhuman is on a distinguished road
my FSU went out and i had ALL those symptoms. driving totally fine-then bam! bogging down, i coast into a lot and im like flooring it and pumping it and barely moving. go back next day with a guy but it starts up fine and i drive it for 2 days with probably 6 starts all fine. then it happened again, got new FSU and no problems since.
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.