PML questions - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
PML questions

I am doing my pml over winter break and i cant decide between the calmini shackles or the AC adjustable. Only reason i am not going to get AC's regular shackles is because i have heard they tend to run a bit longer than usual. I know that i will not have much adjustment left in the front, as i have already leveled my truck, so i may gain roughly a .5"-.75". So i am just looking for advice on what to do. Also any pics of a pml with adjustable shackles at the 1" setting would be great. I cant seem to locate any on the internet or on the forum.

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
thanks28
Addict

2002 Xterra
thanks28 is on a distinguished road
Just do the pml with the AC shackles that I and everyone else uses and then get low pro bump stops for the front and crank torsions up. Mine sits level and that's what I got. Plus I'm running 33" tires and 18" wheels. (That's with a BL too though)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

"Only the Best"
2002 Xterra SE 4x4 Solar Yellow
  • Cherry Bomb Glasspack Muffler
  • Concept Customs Lightbar w/ Pro Comp Long Ranges
  • Tinted All Windows to Match
  • Full Kenwood audio from Deck to Subs
  • Front Off Road Lights
  • PML
  • Custom Built Rock Sliders w/ Bedliner
  • Roof Basket w/ Spare Tire
  • DIY Hi-Lift Mount
  • 18" Rockstar XD wheels with 33"x12.50 Toyo Open Country Tires
Big Bird Build
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...t=36915&page=3

has pics of my truck when it had a PML with adjustable shackles....I had them on the 1.5" setting not the 1 inch though...

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowx16 View Post
I know that i will not have much adjustment left in the front, as i have already leveled my truck, so i may gain roughly a .5"-.75". So i am just looking for advice on what to do.
I got .5"-.75" starting from scratch. If you truly keep a .5" upper bumpstop gap, I doubt you will get much, if any more than you already did. What's your gap currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanks28 View Post
Just do the pml with the AC shackles that I and everyone else uses and then get low pro bump stops for the front and crank torsions up. Mine sits level and that's what I got. Plus I'm running 33" tires and 18" wheels. (That's with a BL too though)
Low pro bumpstops do nothing but add some downtravel... they don't affect how high you can lift it and still get an alignment. The .5" gap metric is just a reference for how high you can go and still pull the tops of the tires in far enough to dial out the positive camber. You don't want a factory alignment, search for the aftermarket... it calls for 0 camber.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
thanks28
Addict

2002 Xterra
thanks28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacular View Post
Low pro bumpstops do nothing but add some downtravel... they don't affect how high you can lift it and still get an alignment. The .5" gap metric is just a reference for how high you can go and still pull the tops of the tires in far enough to dial out the positive camber. You don't want a factory alignment, search for the aftermarket... it calls for 0 camber.
I wasn't saying you get more with them. Just saying I recommend them. I only cranked to the suggested amount of a pml. And that was with stock bump stops. I never cranked again when I changed them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

"Only the Best"
2002 Xterra SE 4x4 Solar Yellow
  • Cherry Bomb Glasspack Muffler
  • Concept Customs Lightbar w/ Pro Comp Long Ranges
  • Tinted All Windows to Match
  • Full Kenwood audio from Deck to Subs
  • Front Off Road Lights
  • PML
  • Custom Built Rock Sliders w/ Bedliner
  • Roof Basket w/ Spare Tire
  • DIY Hi-Lift Mount
  • 18" Rockstar XD wheels with 33"x12.50 Toyo Open Country Tires
Big Bird Build
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
KChurch86
Square peg, round hole

2004 Xterra
KChurch86 has a spectacular aura about them KChurch86 has a spectacular aura about them
I've got AC's adjustable lift shackles, they're beefy as all hell. I've got them on the 2nd-to-highest setting and have been considering bumping them up to the highest.

I can say that if you don't plan on running them at the highest setting, you're going to have a lot of metal hanging down behind your leaf spring. Even on the 2nd-to-last hole I've got a decent amount of shackle sticking straight down behind the springs. Not a huge issue, but it does pose a risk of being caught/banged on obstacles.

"All we need is a ten and a fiver, a car with a key and a sober driver, B double E double R, U, N; BEER RUN".

The name's Kyle, but YOU can call me Church.

BUILD

Silver Bullets
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
yeah, most people advise against adjustables because you get that extra shackle hanging off. If you have your torsion bars maxed out...you may not have room to go any higher...then you may not even need shackles if you want the leveled look. Most likely if you already raised the torsion bars, you wont have much more lift in the front if any...you may not be able to go any higher with stock ucas.h

I use my adjustables at full height with the UCAs that allow for 3 " in the front...that gives me the more leveled look that is a bit hgher than a pml...expensive though

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
Garage
Currently i am sitting at about .5" on the left side and a little over .75" on the right. So i have maybe a little adjustment on the right but i am probably done on the left. Id like a little bit of added height but i can't afford UCA's now. Most people have a little bit of rake with a pml i am assuming, plus i have a bl so will a 1.5" rake be too noticeable? I wouldn't mind a little bit of rake i just dont want it ridiculous looking.
The only reason im considering the adjustable shackles now is for the sake of being able to lower the back incase the rake is too much for my liking.
Xtacular- How much rake do you have on your x? It looks like a little bit but i really like the stance of your truck.

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 AM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
I did the PML with the adjustable shackle...put it on a lower setting first (2nd to last hole) and did not like the large rake...immediately started saving up for UCAs to get more height in the front so I could max the shackle out. The nice thing about that is its an intermediate step before UCAs...

I am putting my body lift in tomorrow...so I will have adjustable shackles, UCAs, and a body lift...I will take some pics to give you something to consider...I drove my truck 3 months or so with just the adjustable PML before I got the UCAs.

I would say though, that I personally would not get the adjustables if UCAs are not in your future sometime, given that your stock UCAs are pretty much maxed out. The extra length hanging off...it probably WONT catch on stuff if you wheel...but it does look goofy and annoyed me with the rake. Without much room for adjustment in the front, it doesn't make much sense to me unless you can lift the front more in the future...as pretty much all extra height will just be in the rear.

On a side note, AC UCAs are indeed expensive and a pain to install...but I think it was definitely worth it. Adjustable shackles on the highest setting and AC UCAs give you a lift that is noticeably more than a PML, and you are still able to maintain the more leveled look ... and you don't stiffen the suspension by adding a leaf pack. Plus, like I said, you can rock a lower setting PML while saving for UCAs....do the lift in stages to ease the financial pain.

Have I convinced you to get UCAs yet?!

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#10 Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 AM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
Garage
Thank for the help Rob, you have me convinced! Its tough being in college and trying to mod my truck at the same time, but i should have enough money to get some UCA's relatively soon. Im really interested to see how your truck will look after the body lift. How much rake did you have when you were at just pml? I agree on the adjustable shackle overhang, that would bother me too. Thats the only reason why i keep going back and forth, especially because i am not positive if i will be getting new UCA's soon.

Exterior:
Performance:
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.