post #1 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Sparkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
Sparkman is on a distinguished road
Power steering leak?

The gifts keep on giving... Don't you love it when you are fixing one problem and by chance discover another? Yeah- good times- anyhow I found what I believe to be power steering fluid leaking from somewhere haven't found exactly where yet. I checked the fluid level and it's good but this is my first X and it's a recent purchase. What's the most likely issue and how difficult/expensive is it to fix? Thanks for the help.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Soccerfan

2001 Xterra
Soccerfan is on a distinguished road
I bought a '01 with 128K recently from a family friend. he had it detailed before trying to sell, so everything was cleaned up when I acquired. About a week after purchasing there was a drip off the front tow hook on the drive. Leaking fluids is one of my pet peeves, so I crawled under there. Traced it back to the power steering reservoir. Thread searched on here and determined that the supply and feed hoses have a tendency to leak on this age vehicle. I bought the hoses from a Toyota house that deals over the internet ($60) and replaced.

Before I got to that point, I took the thing to the car wash and hit it hard with the engine degreaser on the fluid reservoir, the rubber hoses up top, the pump and all the frame that was wet with the fluid. I waited a day and then started checking where the fluid was coming from and determined the crappy clamps and old hoses appeared to be the likely suspects.

I removed the battery from the X to give me more room to work, but still this is a tight area. I used the worm-gear clamps on the new hoses, and took it again to the car wash to remove the fluid that went everywhere during the removal. I had my large, flat drip pan under the X to catch the drips, but it was/is a mess getting this off, even after draining the reservoir with the turkey baster. Checked it again every day for a week until I was satisfied that problem was gone.

This is my first Nissan, after owning Honda's, Toyota's, Jeeps, GM products.
I did the thermostat on the X and then the power steering hoses, and my opinion is that Nissan's (or at least the X) is about the tightest workspace vehicle I've tried to turn wrenches on.

One thing I did learn the hard way was that the reservoir will come out of it's mount by pulling it straight up without removing any bolts to allow you to get to the hoses on the bottom. Likewise you can clamp the hoses on it before you put it back home....heck of a lot easier than trying to remove/install the clamps while it is mounted.

Good luck to you !

PS ....I noticed my pump has just a little bit of whine to it, do you have that too?
2001 Xterra
post #3 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Sparkman

2001 Xterra
Thanks for your help - much appreciated! The only thing I have noticed is a very slight whine when turning the wheels sharply which I think is pretty common.
2001 Xterra
post #4 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
drbandkgb
It was always fumbles

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
Not common at all...

Id say you have a pump going out.. SnickerDoodle replace the fluid in hers.. and it seemed to settle down..
2000 Xterra
post #5 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Sparkman

2001 Xterra
Thanks - will try that
2001 Xterra
post #6 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
ArcticX

2002 Xterra
ArcticX is on a distinguished road
power steering hose leak

Could someone please direct me to a website (that ships to Canada) where I can purchase new power steering hoses. I have replaced most of the clamps but am still getting a leak, and I think the hoses are just worn out. I also am getting a nasty burning smell inside the truck and need to get this solved.

Also the fluid leaking is a brown-ish colour (almost like oil) but I am fairly certain it is PS fluid... I always thought PS fluid was a pinkish red. Up here in the winter we see little puddles of the stuff all over the snow, where trucks have been parked for awhile, but mine is brown.

2002 3.3L SE 4X4
Upgrades - Rancho 5000 shocks, timing belt, other belts, water-pump, thermostat, battery blanket, fuel filter...
2002 Xterra
post #7 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Soccerfan

2001 Xterra
Soccerfan is on a distinguished road
I just pm'ed you.
2001 Xterra
post #8 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
ArcticX

2002 Xterra
Thank you!

2002 3.3L SE 4X4
Upgrades - Rancho 5000 shocks, timing belt, other belts, water-pump, thermostat, battery blanket, fuel filter...
2002 Xterra
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Sparkman

2001 Xterra
I'm replacing the clamps on the hoses as well- what did you use?
2001 Xterra
post #10 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
ArcticX

2002 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I'm replacing the clamps on the hoses as well- what did you use?
Worm gear clamps. I think I might have stopped the power-steering leak, but I am still seeing drops of fluid in the snow after I park it. Unfortunately I think I may have another (possible oil) somewhere mid to higher up in the engine. :-( No fun to try and diagnose that when it's dark out and -30...

2002 3.3L SE 4X4
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.