How to remove seized engine block coolant drain plug - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
gogogsr

2000 Xterra
gogogsr is on a distinguished road
How to remove seized engine block coolant drain plug

Hey guys, i'm flushing my coolant and i'm having a real hard time removing the engine block coolant drain plugs. I was wondering if it is safe to heat the block around the drain bolts?? I tought you were not suppose to heat the engine block to remove bolts, but maybe I misunderstood, lol. These two bolts are a real PITA. Thanks guys

Last edited by gogogsr; 11-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I never could get mine to break loose. I tried a torch, and crc freeze off and it didnt budge one bit. Im not sure why you shouldnt heat the engine block, since it gets extremely hot when operating. I wouldnt go from sub zero temps to a hot torch, but normal temps should be fine.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#3 Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
gogogsr

2000 Xterra
thanks intender, is there an alternative to removing these plugs? What did you do?
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
phrog man
Chrome can go to hell

2004 Xterra
phrog man will become famous soon enough
Can't remember how much room is there bit I would use a 12 point socket attached to a breaker bar then use a cheater bar to increase the amount of torque you can apply. If there is room this always works.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2004 BLACK X-AUTO
Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 AM
gogogsr

2000 Xterra
I allready tried that but i dont want to snap the head
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Maybe a little 'percussive therapy' around it? It's not really seized, just held in really well by the sealant.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
gogogsr

2000 Xterra
I will try with impact at like 80 psi
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
The cooling system holds slightly less than 3 gallons total. The radiator if you have a non supercharged engine holds a little less than half of that. I drained the radiator twice. I made my own 50/50 mix from distilled water and antifreeze and used that to fill it after each drain, and added the system flush additive into the first flush. I followed whatever the directions for the flush was for the the first drain. I let the engine run for about 20 minutes before I drained it the second time to let it mix good. after the second drain I filled it with 50/50 again. I drove it for about 2 weeks and then did another drain and filled again. Probably didnt need the 3rd drain but it didnt hurt. I had just changed the thermostat on my infiniti and forgot I had some nissan antifreeze laying around in the basement and bought more to do the xterra. My wife wanted me to get rid of the antifreeze before our 2 year old got into it (he thought it was bubbles) so it seemed like the best use for it. Either way I drained more out of the system than it holds, although I am sure a small amount of the original coolant is still in the system it should be a tiny amount.

all of that was in vain either way, my upper radiator connector snapped off my radiator a few months later after doing my body lift and I had to fill the system again anyway. I got it connected enough to hold long enough to get home, but used water from a gas station to fill it and had to do it all again to get the crappy water out. Some people dont seem to mind using city or well water for flushing and filling the cooling system, but I never liked the idea.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build

Last edited by intender; 11-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.
2000 SE Xterra
#9 Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road
Got mine out with a set of bolt-out sockets.

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.