Need HELP with tires! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
ddel65

2006 Xterra
ddel65 is on a distinguished road
Need HELP with tires!

I am looking to get new tires for my 06 xterra off road. i do not have any lift on it but i want to run 285/75/16 tires with the melt mod until i lift it 2 inches. This car is my daily driver and i take it off road every once in a while. I am look at either Falken Rocky mountain ATS tire http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...ALINT&pc=18281

or the Cooper discoverer ATP tire http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...ALINT&pc=11766

Which ones do you guys think will be a better choice?
2006 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
I run the ATPs in 32s and I love them....put about 2k miles on them...great road manners, good performance offroad, I can't really complain.

Obviously as an all terrain tire, it isn't as good offroad as a mud tire, but it gets the job done and is very inexpensive...but good quality...which = value

I've heard good things about the falkens too...you have chosen pretty solid tires in my opinion

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
BWXT
Veteran

2003 Xterra
BWXT will become famous soon enough
I have the Falkens on my 4Runner. Very happy.

Sent from my ass

'03 X, 3" AC lift, 31" BFG MT's, 8,000lb. winch, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, IAB
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
If you want some pics of the ATP and read my thoughts on them, check out these links to my threads (page 7 and 8):

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...t=36915&page=7

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38525

I am very satisfied with their performance.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
I had a buddy that ran those falkens on his taco, and they were some awesome tires... If i hadn't got a set of cooper discoverer st maxxs, I would have got them instead.

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
ddel65

2006 Xterra
thanks guys this is helpful, have any of you used these tires in mud yet or just dirt?
2006 Xterra
#7 Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Garage
I have used the ATP tires in mud/water...They worked great. I did get stuck a few times in the sense that I had to rock back and forth and inch my way forward some to get out of the mud hole, but always manged to make it through, even when in mud/water up to the bottom of the door seams.

A big wheeling weekend I got to test them out...there was only 1 slick mud hill I couldn't get up on my 32s...handled just about everything else I threw at it with suprising results. Many of my difficulties I would also attribute to me being new to wheeling...but I was able to ride next to a SAS xterra on 37s without being too much of a limiting factor.

2004 Xterra 4X4

Building my X

2004 Xterra
#8 Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
ddel65

2006 Xterra
thanks i want to get them in 33 and i think the coopers would be better. I found a set of dakata definity mud terrains for 200 a peice with buy 3 get one free at pepboys so i might go with them but if not i think im going to go with the coopers
2006 Xterra
#9 Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
my buddies taco does great in the mud with those falkens... They clean out extremely well for an all-terrain, and handle themselves well in the deep stuff too.

since your wantin 33s, you'll be running a 285/75/16s... If your gonna go coopers, have u loooked at the st discoverer maxx? I mean both tires are within a dollar of each other. I swapped from stts to these st maxxs and there great man. I was sold after looking at reviews and couldn't find anything negative about them.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_t...oduct_id=10695

here they are on my rig

good luck bro, Imo opinion you can't really go wrong with anything that says cooper on it... Let us know what you get.

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
ddel65

2006 Xterra
thanks i haven't looked at those tires yet. i love the look on the st maxx's you have so I'm gonna look into them but the only thing is if the one's from pep boys are good, I'm still reading reviews, they sell them buy 3 get one free so it saves some money. but I'm definitely gonna look at the st maxx. i also like the regular discoverer S/T, do you know how they are?
2006 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.