Any tips on Head gasket? VC gaskets? and intake manifold gasket? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
KBCL
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
KBCL is on a distinguished road
Any tips on Head gasket? VC gaskets? and intake manifold gasket?

I have an '01 with a exterior coolant leak, and after the last oil change and seafoam, what looked like some evaporated coolant inside the oil cap, and my valve cover gaskets are leaking.

The oil and coolant both look good so if my head gasket is leaking, it isn't too bad yet...

I have to do the valve covers so obviously will be doing the intake manifold gasket as well, so I've got those gaskets to pick up and the little rubber grommet thingys.

Are there any other parts I should be replacing at the same time?

As far as the head gasket goes, I'm still monitoring it since it showed up right after I did the seafoam thing, but I need to make a decision soon since I'll be in there already for the above mentioned stuff.

If I do tackle the head gasket, are there any tips and will I need more parts than just the things I've listed above?

I won't be doing the timing belt unless it's a mess when I get in there since it was already done about 30k kilometres ago. I guess I should also do new exhaust manifolds or headers though

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Since you're pulling the intake to do the driver side cover, there will never be a better time to do the spark plugs.
2001 Xterra
#3 Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM
KBCL
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
They were done at the same time as the timing belt so they aren't due for another 120k or so.

Anyone else got some suggestions?

Cheers!
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
You need upper and lower intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets. There is a bolt that goes through the timing belt back plate into the lower intake manifold. Don't forget to remove that bolt or else you'll never get the lower intake off.
2001 SE Xterra
#5 Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 PM
KBCL
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
thanks,
so I was looking around a bit and found this head gasket kit on Ebay, good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM
KBCL
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
I think it is a good deal since just the bolts from courtesy nissan would be over $100...
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Rock auto will have all the gaskets you need. Get FEL-PRO gaskets.
2001 SE Xterra
#8 Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Heavus
Phreak

2000 Xterra
Heavus will become famous soon enough
probably wanna replace the thermostat, water pump, and flush your cooling system real good.

2000 X
Rancho lift-Blacked out-Maxxis Bighorn's-Flowmaster Super 44 OR-Airaid CAI-8k HID's-LED tails-Tail light guards-PIAA's-RF Speakers-Kicker Subs- and lots of memories
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road
If it’s cold out, and you only do short trips, there will be a little milky oil on the bottom of the oil cap. If it is the head gasket,they will $hit the bed back on number 5 cylinder.

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.