I ran two relays directly off the battery. From there I fed three 12 gauge wires up to the roof through the passenger side pillar. At the top of the pillar I drilled a hole through the roof under the roof-rack's front-right foot. Painted and grommeted the hole, then after running the wires through it, glopped on lots of electrical grease.
The wires run to an electrical socket that I installed in the roof rack (see build thread page 3
). I had run a single 12 gauge ground wire from the passenger side "Oh S**T" handle. Several people thought that would not be enough as I have about 310watts of lights (about 26 amps) so I added another ground wire from one of the roof-rack mounting screws which I scrapped the paint off, then tested the connection) to the roof-rack cross bar.
That was in 2009, and no leaks to date.
2003 XE – 5 speed, 4X4
Removed: resonators, rear sway bar, mud flaps, step rails, factory skids
Added: full skids, shrock sliders, K&N Air Filter, 6" shackles, upgraded rear springs, IAB, heavy duty TRAs, 31-10.5-15 MTZ Mud Claws, Bilstein shocks
Mods: 2" PML, Xterra roof rack cross-bar lights
My modest build thread...