New shocks, knocking noise on front right on bumps - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM
bernasty

2001 Xterra
bernasty is on a distinguished road
New shocks, knocking noise on front right on bumps

So I put new shocks on a couple weeks ago, and I noticed that occaisionally there is a knocking sound when I go over speed bumps on the front right wheel.

So I jacked the front end up and shook the wheel to see if I heard anything. I didn't. I looked around...everything seemed to be OK, tie rods, etc. I put it back down and drove it and the very first speed bump I went over, it made the same noise. It sounds like something is loose, gets jarred a little bit and then makes one single knocking noise.

So at this point, I'm not really sure what it is. So I drive over like 5 more speed bumps, and there's no noise.

I'm honestly not sure if the noise was there before replacing my shocks or not, and I just didn't notice it until now because I'm hyper-sensitive to it, or if it's something wrong with the new shocks.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Is it my ball joint or something? How do I check?

2001 Xterra SE 3.3L
Getting 19MPG right now. I'm proud of that, but want to get more out of it. I'm considering an HHO setup.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
First, what kind of shocks are they? If they're preloading the springs more than stock then they'd definitely make some noise going over speedbumps and make the ride harsher.
2005 Xterra
#3 Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM
bernasty

2001 Xterra
The shocks are Monroe Reflex (911171/2). I got them from Rock Auto. The front left, doesn't seem to be making the same knocking noise. The ride seems fine...doesn't seem any harsher than normal. I know...should have gotten bilsteins, but I'm too poor for that right now.

The only other thing I can think of is that I went to BrakeMax to get my rotors turned and maybe they didn't tighten something back down?

2001 Xterra SE 3.3L
Getting 19MPG right now. I'm proud of that, but want to get more out of it. I'm considering an HHO setup.

Last edited by bernasty; 11-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
I've gotten bump sounds from the shock cap when turning the wheel because the seat wasn't clocked properly, but a bump only on the passenger side and only when going over a speed bump... my guess would be it might still have something to do with the spring seat. If the spring wasn't set properly inside the groove of the seat then it's possible that the spring is actually shifting in the seat during decompression and making that bump sound.
2005 Xterra
#5 Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revu View Post
I've gotten bump sounds from the shock cap when turning the wheel because the seat wasn't clocked properly, but a bump only on the passenger side and only when going over a speed bump... my guess would be it might still have something to do with the spring seat. If the spring wasn't set properly inside the groove of the seat then it's possible that the spring is actually shifting in the seat during decompression and making that bump sound.
An 01 doesnt have springs. Has bars

You can turn the wheel, reach back, and check the tightness of the strut top bolt. Heck you can replace the front shocks with it still on the ground lol

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
1.0-1.5 gens have torsion bar set ups. See if you can get a friend to look at the X while going over a bump.
If you cannot do that you could try to simulate the speed bump with two jacks and look up under and see if anything is causing it.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwashmycar View Post
An 01 doesnt have springs. Has bars
Bah how'd I forget that

Then the next thing would be to check the steering linkages during compression.
2005 Xterra
#8 Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
roamingxterra

2004 Xterra
roamingxterra is on a distinguished road
Bernasty, did you ever find the solution to this? I have a similar issue with the front drivers side. When I go over a speed bump or a large dip at a slow speed, I get a knock at the end of the bump. I go over the bump, but it's like the truck gets back to normal ride and that is when I hear the knock. Sometimes I think I can feel it on the floor by the brake pedal. It doesn't do it when I hit pot holes or other things in the road. Someone at work told me it might be the bushings on the strut. Any other ideas?

2004 Nissan Xterra XE "Everything You Need, Nothing You Don't"*
*Excluding mudflaps, sidebars, swaybar, and bigger tires (Goodyear duratacs to be exact)
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
bernasty

2001 Xterra
Hey sorry...forgot to check this thread.

Ok so some of my knocking noise was coming from a loose nut on the sway bar in the back. it would be fine most of the time and then all of the sudden i'd get a knock. It was the sway bar flexing/moving and the bolt sliding and hitting the opposite end of the hole it went through. I just tightened that up and that stopped 90% of the noise.

The rest of it is my ball joint going bad I think. About time to replace it. There's a how to thread on here for that. I am going to do mine pretty soon.

2001 Xterra SE 3.3L
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.