Nexus 7 Tablet Built-In - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
chjade84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chjade84 is on a distinguished road
Nexus 7 Tablet Built-In

How does it look? (Be gentle, it's my first time using fiberglass and second time using body filler.)

Using Wi-Fi tethering on my phone I have Spotify Premium for commercial free radio and on-demand access to almost any song/album on the planet ($10/mo), TuneIn in order to listen to any live radio station in the country (world, too?) for free, GPS and navigation using Google Maps - including voice command, and of course general internet and other apps. I even have one that uses a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to get live ECU data/codes.

Parts list:
-Spare dash to modify ($65)
-Nexus 7 ($200)
-Alpine 4 channel amp ($135)
-Potentiometers and knobs ($25)
-Relay and assorted electronics ($25?)
-Misc fiberglass, body filler, hardware ($100?)

Total: $550-ish?

I started taking build pictures but there were a lot more than I was expecting. If there's interest though I can put some together. I kept everything able to be reverted to stock should the need arise. It took several weeks of trial and error to get finished but it works great. The Alpine amp even sounds better than the old head unit.

Last edited by chjade84; 11-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
Dude that is sweet!

I got all excited and started rambling about all the cool stuff that thing could possibly do without realizing you already have listed that you set it all up for it already! Music, Internet Radio, Navigation, ODB2 Sensor, everything's there! It's beautiful! Do want!

I've gotta forward this to all my techy buddies, they're gonna love it! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Keep us, and definitely me, posted on how that works out for you!
2005 Xterra
post #3 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
How exactly is that mounted in there? Im really interested how you did it, that looks great! I love that idea, well done!

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153
2002 Xterra
post #4 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
chjade84

Glad you guys like it!

The tablet is in a cheapo plastic case, the case has aluminum bar stock fiberglassed to the back and those bars are bolted to the plastic housing that normally holds the HVAC controls.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Oh wow I'm dense, I just barely noticed that you flipped the positions of the stereo and economy controls. So you removed the front vents and have it mounted to that. Was the stereo bezel just completely the wrong size to mount it behind, and how'd you wire the volume and bass controls to the amp?
2005 Xterra
post #6 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
yea i didn't notice that at first either, very cool.

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153
2002 Xterra
post #7 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
chjade84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revu View Post
Oh wow I'm dense, I just barely noticed that you flipped the positions of the stereo and economy controls. So you removed the front vents and have it mounted to that. Was the stereo bezel just completely the wrong size to mount it behind, and how'd you wire the volume and bass controls to the amp?
Haha no worries man.

The vents were in the way so i filled up the vent tube with expandable foam and cardboard (in plastic so it can be removed easily) and the tablet is bolted to the plastic portion of the dash that the HVAC controls were previously bolted to. The vent louvers were removed from the donor dash, the hole for the HVAC controls was expanded with fiberglass and then re-installed so the tablet would peek through.

Fortunately the HVAC controls were the exact right width to fit were the stereo used to go, it just needed some bolts trough its mounting holes and a couple holes drilled in the bracket that normally holds the stereo.

I didn't try to put the tablet where the stereo went because I wanted it to be up higher and easier to use. I think the width was just right though so that would have been an option.

The volume/bass controls are 10k stereo potentiometers. The headphone out from the tablet is broken into 4 RCA jacks which go through ground loop isolators that came with the amp, then to the potentiometer input for volume. The volume out splits and goes to the 4 channel Alpine amp and the bass potentiometer whose out goes to RCAs for the sub amplifier. That way the overall volume is dictated by the volume knob but the bass is still adjustable.

EDIT: Realized I had a pic on my phone. Tablet isn't in yet but I marked the locations where it's mounted. The top right circle is where the one bar just rests, in that notch. No need for a bolt there.

Last edited by chjade84; 11-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm going to have to seriously consider something like this when I get around to redoing my stereo.

A good double din deck with touch screen and GPS is about $800, so at that price you might as well get more out of it! Way to go!
2005 Xterra
post #9 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
Looks great!

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
post #10 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 AM
MaximusXterrious

2007 Xterra
MaximusXterrious is on a distinguished road
more pics please

That is a very cool project! I'd love to see the build pictures u took.. how did you come up with this idea? How is the sound quality from the touch pad? A normal hu is like 50wx4 what does the pad put out? Awesome job man!

2007 Nissan Xterra X
Upgraded Sound System
2007 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.